Howdy folks, and happy Friday. I’ll be honest. I was not looking forward to writing this post today. Why? Well, it means I’m back from vacation. (Um.. Beer.. you already posted about vacation..) Yes. Yes I did. But this is the first real post that I felt obligated to do. The notes from the road was just for fun. Still, it’s Friday… so let’s see what Beer’s got rattling around in his brain (Other than rocks, you mean?) Hey! I heard that! Anyhow – let’s get started.
- I was going to start in on the back to reality theme, and how hard it is.. Blah, blah blah. Then the news went and hit the “Easy” button for me. How can you not lead with a news item that involves “trouser snake” puns and jokes? Yes, it’s an article about people putting snakes in their pants. And the best part? One of those people got caught at the Miami airport. Meaning they were trying to get snakes… on a plane! Which of course is an excuse to post this!
Ok, yes. I used the TV edit version to avoid being too crude. Want the original? It’s right here.
- Ran across this little blurb dealing with an NFL player’s contract. (Pro football salaries are about as far from reality as it gets for most of us). This is the line that really gets me:
“We certainly are not unhappy with our contract. Do we believe we outperformed the contract? Absolutely. Did we expect to outperform the contract. Sure. Are we bitter or unhappy? Not at all,”
That was said by the player’s AGENT. Dude.. who’s this WE? How many sacks did you have? HE outperformed his deal. Singular. The guy on the field. There is no “We”.
Oh what the hell.. Since it looks like the guy is going to get a new contract, let’s go one more. Yeah, I’m going there.
- CNN has an article up about being a Swedish chef. It’s a pretty interesting read and some of the stuff does really sound good. But I have to admit, and I’m sure it’s why the link from the main page was “Be a real Swedish chef”, that once you read “Swedish Chef” we all thought of just one thing….
- This caught my eye over on Autoblog. Is it car related? I guess if you consider stunt people getting hit by cars “car related”. But it was pretty funny (language is not PG though, so careful at work). And since this has Lee Majors in it:
I couldn’t help but slip this one in, too…
- You didn’t think you were getting away without me making a Labor Day reference, did you? What in the world *IS* Labor day, anyways? According to the Department of Labor “It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.” Thankfully with all the job losses recently, we haven’t had to make a concession on the holiday just yet. (Annnd THAT’S about as close to a political statement as I am going to make!) What does it mean? Well, it means a long weekend. It means things like grilling and camping and campfires. It means FOOTBALL!! Isn’t that enough reason to celebrate? I think so.
Ok, that’s five and a metric ton of video embeds. Now that I’ve gotten back from vacation hopefully I’ll have that out of my system for a while. But probably not. Either way, as we head into the long holiday weekend I need to pay one last tribute to my recent Bahamian vacation and the events that transpired. Yeah, I’m talking about Irene. And yeah, you better look away now if you don’t want to hear what’s coming next because I’m going there…
Have a great holiday weekend, folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Features, Five Thoughts, football, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Holiday, Muppets, postaweek2011, Silly, Television, Vacation
Happy Friday folks! Here we are again, right at the edge of another weekend. And what a wild week it’s been, too. What with the stock market, and preseason football, and… What? You actually expected me to make sense? Yeah, didn’t think so. Speaking of not making sense, let’s get started with this one…
- An online petition calling for the nuptials of Muppet flat-mates Bert and Ernie. Really? These are the things people worry about? Not the stock market, riots in London, or anything like that. But let’s be serious here for a moment. Ernie… Don’t do it!! I don’t know if you’re aware of it man, but your roommate, Bert? He’s Evil! You really don’t want to be marrying into that, do you?
- Not really a big deal, but since I always got a kick out of “Snakes on a Plane”, the first thing I thought of was “Tarantula on a train!“. Sadly, the real world event wasn’t quite the same. We’ve also recently seen “Snake on a car“, which – while funny – still lacked excitement. Maybe we could do something like “Ferrets on a Fishing boat” or “Birds on a Bus”? Nah, didn’t think so either.
- While we’re on the subject of transportation… There are some things you never want to be compared to in the automotive world. Like a “sorbet of mouse scat”. Yes, that’s an actual quote in an article describing the Nissan Murano Cross Cabriolet as the “Most Hated” vehicle of 2011. Personally, I’d put it on the list just for the name. Talk about pretentious. What, “Murano Convertible” isn’t good enough? Still, the quote from the article puts this story here. “Sorbet of mouse scat”? How do you even think a line like that up?
- Swinging to social media and technology. Google is obviously getting serious about going head to head with Facebook. how can we tell? It’s simple…. They’re adding games to Google+. You know once games are involved, things are getting serious. Gotta water the crops, or birds, or… something.
- See, now this is one of those instance where maybe, just maybe, there should have been some of that there “Inter agency cooperation” or whatever you want to call it. What am I going on about? Well, it seems the US government (DARPA specifically) has lost yet ANOTHER hi tech toy. This raises a few questions for me. Did they not talk to NASA, who have proven to be very adept at losing contact with unmanned flights? You’d think comparing notes might be in order. You know.. “No, no – that’s what we used and it, um, didn’t work” type of stuff. Also, I love this quote..”Initial indications are that the aircraft impacted the Pacific Ocean along the planned flight path.” Initial indications? The freaking thing was supposed to be travelling at almost 13,000 mph!! Anything moving that fast is going to leave one heck of an “Initial indication” upon impact! Couldn’t be that hard to figure out where it was.
Okay folks – that’s five and I’m rolling on out. Shaping up to be a busy, but fun weekend. So until next time, something a bit different…
Have a great weekend folks!
We here at Beerbarrel Productions make no bones about the fact that we hate recycled ideas in the entertainment world. A-Team movie…dumb…. Dukes of Hazzard movie…dumber idea… and on and on and on. Come on creative people, develop some original thoughts and ideas. We, as a buying, demanding population want original thoughts. Well, I’m going to actually take a step back from our normal beliefs and flip flop here people. Hold on, the one area I believe is ripe for a recycled project is…..are you ready….THE MUPPETS!!! What, wait, is the King drunk or suffering his third concussion??? No people, listen to me. You have to check out the Muppets Studio on YouTube. It’s great! I can’t help but smile…. So I’m leaving you with one of my favorites new videos….enjoy!!