Howdy folks, and welcome to another Friday post filled with… stuff. Been a rough week around here, with my co-blogger and I seemingly having a competition that neither of us wanted to have, nor win. More on that, and a bunch of other… stuff to cover this week. Shall we what’s rattling around in Beer’s brain this week? (Consider yourselves warned!)
- “Hey Beer, you called this the Jobbie Nooner Edition. Shouldn’t you be on the lake right now?” Well, technically it’s on an island in a river, not a lake. But to answer your question in two parts… Yes, I *do* believe I should be on a lake right now but hell no I don’t want to be anywhere near that mass of humanity. I’m not a big fan of drunken crowds. When you add in a bunch of people operating boats while drinking (Note: Many attendees are responsible boaters. This is a case of a few nitwits giving everyone a bad name), well… I’ll pass. I know the boating skills of the general populace in my area. I’m not overly impressed when they’re sober. Let alone when they’re drinking. However, it is a big party. And it is a big tradition around here. If you want more info on it, check it out here. Before you go though.. let me warn you of one other reason I choose not to attend. Remember folks… What is seen, can never be unseen. If you catch my meaning.
- So, LeBron James finally won an NBA championship last night. I’ll admit, I didn’t watch. I was watching
paint dry water boilum, actually, I don’t know what I was watching. But I know it wasn’t basketball. That being said, now that he has a ring, I’m sure some of his critics will get off his case. And I’m sure none of the ones who do will likely be from the Cleveland area. I haven’t checked yet this morning to see if LeBron got trashed out on twitter by NHL players the way he did after game 4 though. That was good for a laugh.
- Speaking of the NHL… They have the first round of their draft on tonight. Once again I think I’ll spend my time watching paint dry or water boil. Sorry, but the NHL draft is far closer to the MLB draft than to NFL or NBA drafts. Even the first round doesn’t wind me up. Why? Simple really, just like baseball – with the exception of one or two kids (Who you’ve never even heard of unless you’re some uber geek fan) the draft goes like this. Team goes up to the podium, drafts a kid that fans can expect to (hopefully) see on the big club’s roster in 2-4 years, and goes and sits back down. It’s not the NFL where you know these guys are probably on the team when the season fires back up. Again, yes there are exceptions but for the most part that’s how it goes down. Pretty much the most excitement you can hope for is on the trade front.
- As I mentioned in the intro, stuff’s been breaking lately. And I have to say, in a competition that no one truly wins… My co-blogger won. I lost a hot water heater. My co-blogger lost his A/C. On two of the hottest days of the year. So yeah, he “won”. Fortunately we’re both back up running at the moment. Which means that we’re now waiting for the next thing to break.
- Which leads to one other observation. Over the past week, we’ve been hit by a heatwave. And so I couldn’t help but think of ways to try to beat the heat. And then when I an article about New York having an ice cream shortage, I thought… “That’s just mean”. I also figured, “well, at least they can go for a swim”. Then I saw the next two articles… Which are enough to make you afraid to go back into the water. For freshwater… We have the 300-plus pound alligator gar. And if that thing didn’t have enough teeth for you… How about the great white sharks off the coast of Massachusetts? Yeah, I’m gonna go find a swimming pool. Or a slip and slide or something.
Okay folks, I’m done complaining about stuff and I’m off to get ready to make some more beer this weekend. Yep, because nothing beats the heat like standing over a kettle full of boiling sugary liquid! In the meantime… some Ice Cream to keep the rest of you cool.
Have a great weekend folks!