Good morning everyone and welcome to this week’s edition of Five Thoughts. We’ve got an odd mix this week, so rather than try to make sense of any of it, let’s just get right to it shall we?
- I’m gonna lead with this one because I never miss a chance to post one of these types of stories. Why? I’m not sure. Maybe it’s a reminder that it’s really not safe to go back into the water. Or maybe it’s just that I think it’s freaking cool to see an eight foot long great white shark and be alive with all your parts to talk about it.
- Then again, in a true case of doing without thinking we have the surfer who jumped off a cliff into huge surf because he was late for his heat in a surfing competition. Did he not see the article we were just talking about before this story? The link is worth a click just for the picture they got of him in mid-jump, though.
- Back last year, Felix Baumgartner set the mother of all skydiving records by basically jumping from outer space back to earth. Now, his sponsors have released the point of view video along with mission data indicators. And once again, all I can say is damn, that was cool. And crazy. And some other words I probably shouldn’t say in public. Think I’m being a little too over the top?
- Next up, from the ‘Maybe they were too busy cleaning up other hazardous material sites’ department…. Comes news that as the federal government in the United States got back to work, a memo was circulated by the Environmental Protection Agency. After a 16 year old can of Campbell’s soup was discovered in an EPA office refrigerator. Also of note… the EPA has an office fridge that’s lasted 16 years??? And who puts canned soup in a fridge, anyways?
- Lastly, I need to post this one. I’ve been very, very critical of the NHL for a while now. And I’ve seen nothing from the league that makes me re-think my position on that. What gets lost in the translation of that though, is that some of the teams, their owners, and the people who work for them are really good people doing really good things. Like the Toronto Maples Leafs reaching out to the family of a long time season ticket holder who had passed away. Even sending a letter from the GM and flowers. Very nice.
Okay folks, that’s five and I’ve got a ton of stuff to get done before I can start my weekend, so yeah. I gotta go. Yeah, believe it or not I’m working for living just like everyone else. Including Huey.
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Commentary, Features, Five Thoughts, From the News, hockey, NHL, Office, Sharks, Silly, Soup, Surfing
Howdy folks, and welcome to another edition of Five Thoughts. Been a bit of an uneventful week around here. That doesn’t mean we haven’t been busy though. One of the highlights for Beer included a beer that I helped make scoring fairly well in a competition. In fact, it was a beer that came right out of the very barrel we use in the picture on this blog. Enough about that for now though. On to the silly and stuff….
- While watching the Washington Capitals play the Tampa Bay Lightning last night, I was reminded of something that I’ve mentioned before. Damn Dwayne Roloson is a dead ringer for Steve Nash! Check it out here!
- Speaking of things I mentioned before…. I talked about this when I first heard it. Johnny Depp Playing Tonto in a new Lone Ranger movie. I was nervous about it then, after all you’re talking about icons in pop culture Americana. Now I’ve seen a photo. This photo.
To use a quote from another movie franchise….
“I’ve got a bad feeling about this”
- After watching Niklas Kronwall absolutely destroy Jakub Voracek on Tuesday night, the video made the rounds online. Upon seeing it, my co-blogger was moved to right a very accurate post about it the next day entitled “Bad Day at the Office?” where mentions that at least in the office you don’t have to worry about getting run over by a freight train. Which made me think of… Terry Tate.
- This one just made me shake me head when I read it. In the “why did this become an issue NOW” type of way. I mean, for all the years you saw all the “No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service” signs, and the Ohio Statehouse didn’t have a similar rule? I’m pretty sure there’s a joke in there somewhere.
- I’m not going to get political with this one, but an article on CNN today is warning us that “The Government is reading your Tweets!” Oh my goodness! Everybody Panic! Run in multiple directions! Okay, deep breaths now folks. Let’s all get over the indignation that someone DARE READ something that we put out there into the Public Domain. How dare they?!?!? I mean, I only put that tweet out there for everyone to see! How dare they read it?? As for me, I hope they are. I’ll take all the readers I can get!
Okay, that’s five and I’m finished for today. At least here on the blog. There’s still beer to drink, drunken tweets to send (Those are some of the best to read, you know) and projects to work on around the house. Always. They never end, do they? Oh well, such is life. Especially when people are watching you. (Or reading your tweets!)
Have a great weekend folks!
So you wake up late because your stupid alarm clock didn’t go off. You step into your cold shower to realize that all you have left is one of those potato chip sized chucks of soap left. You then get stuck in traffic because someone didn’t realize the lane ended as they were texting. Finally, you go to grab a pot of coffee only to learn that the person before you drank the last drip of coffee. Yeah, you know it’s going to be a bad day at work. But at least you don’t have to worry about getting run over by a freight train when you do your job!!! So smile!
Friday Again! Amazing how fast it gets here when your week starts on a Wednesday. Yep, you read the right. Shortly after posting last weeks Five Thoughts Beermaker hit the road for some R&R. I also got chastised for using Traffic’s “Dear Mr. Fantasy”, although coming from someone who also sent me a link to the snazzy napper I’m thinking I don’t have much to worry about. So with all that said, let’s see what’s kicking around in Beermaker’s brain today…
- I have to lead with this. It’s a moral imperative (Bonus points if you can pick out the movie that’s from). Today is National Doughnut Day! And did we get doughnuts here at the office? Of course not. Damned diets. If I were you, I’d check out the local Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme.
And what’s National Doughnut Day without Homer Simpson?
- We aren’t huge basketball followers here at Beerbarrel Productions. Especially not the pro game. I’ve actually considered looking for someone to help with that. That aside, I’m going to miss Shaquille O’Neal. Shaq tweeted out his retirement the other day. As I told my co-blogger, there aren’t very many guys like him left in sports. No, I don’t mean 7 foot whatever and 300 pounds. I’m talking about guys who “get it”. Guys who seem to understand that it’s a game, they’re truly fortunate, and are enjoying the ride for all it’s worth. You can just see it in their eyes (even if they are as intense as can be during the game) and hear it in their voice. They’re having fun. We need more of those types in pro sports, not less.
- 2 weeks on, and a lot of people are still talking about the rapture that wasn’t. And they’re asking a lot of questions about the money that was spent on it. I just wonder, after looking at the guy who predicted it again that maybe they aren’t asking the right person. I just want to know, if Jeff Dunham playing a prank on all of us? When I look at the two side by side, I see it now… (Yes, I photo shopped it together)
- In the news this morning, a small beacon of light, of hope. In the face of once again rising oil prices comes the news that one of the banes of humanity may be facing its end. No, we aren’t talking another terrorist or dictator or anything like that. We’re talking about that damned impermeable, hermetically sealed, often sharper than the razor blades it sometimes holds plastic “clamshell” packaging! Turns out the high oil prices are making it too expensive. Finally! A silver lining to high oil prices!
- Earlier this week our picks for the Stanley Cup finals went up. I think the post name says it all. “The Greatest Trophy“. It really is, no other trophy in sports can match it. Not just because of its age. or the names being etched on it. That’s part of it for sure, but just the history of that trophy. The stories that go along with it. Ones like this article, “The 10 oddest places the Stanley Cup has ever visited“. No other trophy comes close.
Ok, that’s five for this week and I’m off to see if ANYONE around here brought in some donuts.
And while I know it isn’t really fitting for the season, but what the heck… This one is fun, and timely…
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged End of the World, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, hockey, Jeff Dunham, NBA, NHL, Office, postaweek2011, Rapture, Shaq, Stanley Cup, story, Twitter, Walter
Good morning everyone, and welcome to another Five Thoughts on a Friday. After fighting a snowy drive in (Seriously folks, it’s March now. We’ve seen snow all winter long, you still haven’t figured it out?), I’ve been spending the morning looking over the news, which is dominated by the horrible earthquake and tsunami news coming out of Japan. As I write this this morning I’ve got a live news feed of Hawaii getting some tsunami waves. It’s not exactly great news, you know? Still, we’ll do our best to be a bit silly and see if we can’t lighten the mood a bit. Don’t they say something about laughter being good medicine and all? (and who are “They”, anyways?). Ok, let’s get started!
- Writing on the fly this week. Why? Because I decided to treat Thursday night like a Friday night. So this morning I’m feeling like the guy at school who shows up and realizes there’s a test he didn’t study for. Good thing I still usually did okay on those tests. Still, we’re flying with no notes here.
- I read where a study has now said that coffee may help reduce the risk of stroke. You know what else it can do? Prevent beatings. As in “If I don’t have coffee at work there will be a beating”. And I also have to wonder if simply having the knowledge that you have coffee is the relaxing effect that prevents the stroke. Versus the stress of having no coffee.
- Speaking of coffee… you know what does not go well at all with coffee? Doritos. I know. I’ve tried it. Not good.
- I ran across this little nugget last week. Had I found it before I published last week’s post it would have made it into that post. I almost made it a separate post. I feel that strongly that “This Has Horrible Idea Written All Over It”. Let me say it again…. “This Will Not End Well”. What is it that got me all worked up? Ford’s next generation Mustang will have input from it’s global designers. We’re not talking engineering. We’re talking styling/design. Of all the cars in the world, the last one that should have a “global” look to it is the Mustang. Maybe they want to make it a FWD 4 cylinder again, too? It’s an American icon. Take all the global engineering you want, but make it look purely American. After all these years, the car deserves that small bit of respect. It never has, and never should, be a global car.
- OK, calming down a little bit now after that last one… Let’s look at this one. It’s a subject with serious safety ramifications, but we can look at it in a bit of a humorous light… Collisions between aircraft and birds are on the rise. What’s wrong with those birds? Don’t they know how to file proper flight plans? Aren’t they listening to the flight controllers? And am I the only one who notices that when they give examples they always mention what happened to the plane, but never the bird? I’m pretty sure things don’t end well for the birds. Although I’m guess that it does end pretty quickly.
Ok, that’s five and I’m ready to start my weekend. Heck, who am I kidding, I started it last night!
Since I was ranting about Mustangs, what the heck….
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Cars, Coffee, Commentary, Doritos, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, Mustang, Office, postaweek2011, Rant, Travel, Weekend
Howdy folks! here we are back at it again with another weekend staring us down. Friday morning is kind of like seeing the finish line, isn’t it? You may run out of gas before you get there, but you know you should still be able to coast across it and finish the race for the week.
- Sitting here this morning enjoying a French Roast coffee from the new coffee shop by the house. Quite enjoyable. Needed a little bit of a break from the… what would be lower than “swill” be? That’s how I would describe the coffee at the office. The french roast though? Nice. And it isn’t Starbucks. No offense, just don’t care for the coffee there. Something about just doesn’t sit right. The fact that this came from Biggby, which is based in my home state? A nice little bonus.
- There’s been some NHL news lately. No, I’m not going to get into the whole Kovalchuck contract thing and the resulting “The sky is falling” speculation of some writers and bloggers. I’m talking about something else. Just when you didn’t think the NHL could do much else to shoot itself in the foot, out comes this tidbit. The Prince of Wales Trophy that was at the recent Blackhawk fan convention had the wrong team engraved on it! Um, guys? You might want to proofread those things before they go out.
- If you’ve ever wanted to see some guy’s “Man Card” revoked, live on the air. Here you go. ESPN and the fine folks on the internet have just been destroying this guy, and I’m certainly not going to stick up for him. This morning, news is out that maybe they aren’t a couple anymore. I wonder why…?
- In the completely self indulgent department… We recently got new trash and recycle bins from the city, as they’ve changed trash services and we now have those bins that can be picked up automatically by the truck. This means I no longer have to use my old recycle bin that the city had issued. What do I do with it now, I wonder? Give it back? Recycle the recycle bin?
- A while back we did our “On the Internet” post. We meant it as honest advice, even if we tried to do it in a bit of a silly manner. Seems it’s still valid. If a guy like MythBusters (A favorite show of mine) host Adam Savage can make an honest mistake with what info gets online, any of us can.
And with that, I’m punching the clock and ending the week on this blog post. Especially since we’re operating half staffed today. Since the King loves to point out me being gone when he fills in on a Friday, I figured I’d return the favor. See, he’s gone all Clark Griswold on us this week. Loaded the clan into the family truckster and all. Hope Wallyworld wasn’t closed when you got there man!
So in honor of my co-blogger’s road trip adventure:
(Edit – I have NO idea why the embedding on the video isn’t working. Everything looks right. It’s supposed to show Holiday Road, by Lindsay Buckingham. You know, the Theme from National Lampoon’s Vacation.)
Have a great weekend everyone!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Advice, Blackhawks, Blog, Coffee, Family Truckster, Features, Five Thoughts, Internet, MLB, MythBusters, NHL, Office, Road Trip, Silly, Television, Vacation
Howdy folks. It’s Wednesday. Let’s have a little fun, shall we?
This post is brought to you by…. well, you’ll probably be able to able to name people *you* work with that do some of these.
The Beerbarrel’s rules for working effectively in an office environment:
- Make more coffee. Seriously. No one cares about your about your pay grade. Make the coffee. Don’t leave the last little bit there to burn. Even worse are the people who rinse the pot out, set it aside, and empty the filter basket. You did all that, but couldn’t put the new filter pack in and hit “Brew”? Come on already.
- If you are going to work out before work, or during lunch… take a shower when you’re done. Why do we even need to put this here? Please? Don’t be the stinky person.
- Clipping your fingernails at your desk so everyone can hear the “snip, snip” is not acceptable. End of discussion.
- Attendance is mandatory. Listen, we all get sick and miss some time. Sometimes we even want you to stay away, instead of giving everyone else the plague. But when you go the first 2 months of the year without putting in a full week? You aren’t “gaming” the system. You aren’t “really having a bad stretch”. You’re pissing your coworkers off. We will NOT cover for you when you need it if you keep pulling this crap.
- If it needs to be a private conversation, take it somewhere private. Hearing people talking at a desk in whispers only invites more scrutiny. In other words, the more you whisper, the more people will try to listen.
- Guys, seriously. What the heck is with the boogers smeared on the wall in front of the urinal? No nose picking, no farmer sneezing when you’re standing there. This is a workplace, not junior high. It was nasty then, too. Knock it off already! I’m not even going to discuss the floaters. Grow up already.
- No one cares how much you like it, or how tasty it really is. That tuna, liver, and cabbage casserole is never *ever* to be cooked in the break room microwave. At all. It makes the whole place smell like a haz-mat site!
- Ladies? Perfume is fine. Enough perfume that people can smell it half an office away is too much. Okay?
And there we have it. No, these rules have nothing to do with you actually doing your job. Think of these as guidelines for survival, if you will. Because even if you’re the best at what you do, if you do the stuff listed above people will hate you.
Since we almost all have to work, and none of us *really* want to be here why don’t we try to have a little fun with it and make it more pleasant on each other. What do you say? Nah, didn’t think so.
Back to Work!