Happy Friday everyone!
Why’s Beer in such a good mood this week? Is he planning another boondoggle or something? No, no. Well, I am, but it isn’t for a while. No, I’m happy because I might actually get a chance to sleep tomorrow! But, enough about that. It’s been a crazy week, and I there a few things I’ve been thinking about (It being Friday and all). So with that, it’s time for this week’s Five Thoughts.
- Let’s start with some news from the “You’re night real bright, are you?” department. We’ve all heard the phrase “Young and dumb”. The latest example of taking it a bit too far? A 26 year old in Pennsylvania finds himself now charged with a felony. For barking at a police dog at a DUI checkpoint. I do believe this is where we bring in our hero Red….
- Switching gears to the technology front. I’m currently able to do a side by side comparison of the new Apple operating system upgrade and the old version. Being the Luddite that I am, I have not yet upgrade while people I know have. Many of them are not fans of the change. Apparently they aren’t alone. Although none of the people I know who don’t like it are complaining about it making them sick. Oops. Then again, maybe it’ll help cut down on texting and driving. Bright side folks, look on the bright side!
- Speaking of turning stomachs… How about a list of ‘Retro’ foods that are making a comeback. Including Rolaids! Which should help settle that stomach ache you’ve got from your iPhone. More than anything though, this article is proof. Twinkies are going to be around forever!
- We interrupt this list of things that could be considered ‘over the top’ for an idea we think is totally cool and not over the top, a gimmick, or silly. It needs to happen. As one of the classiest (and best) players major league baseball has ever seen is wrapping up the final few games of his career – Mariano Rivera wants to play center field for the Yankees. And the Yankees just might let him. This needs to happen. It would be really cool. Just like the send off he got at Yankee Stadium in his final game there.
- And now back to things that might be a bit over the top. Except, there is no ‘might’ involved in this one. This is not ‘over the top’, this is textbook ‘OverKILL’. What am I talking about? I’m talking about a US Air Force test program to deal with pirates. By bombing them out of the water using supersonic B-1 bombers. Yep. Overkill. But definitely a kill, I’d say. And I can help but think the pilots would be playing this.
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m out of here. Busy night tonight that includes going to benefits with beer. Or was it beer with benefits? Ah well, I’ll get it sorted out when I get there. Not to worry, it’s not excessive… it’s just overkill.
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Air Force, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, iPhone, MLB, Pirates, Silly, stupid, Tech, Yankees
Wow, it’s that time again already. At least we made it to another Friday, even if it is supposed to rain all weekend. So, in the immortal words of Elvis Presley (Sing it folks!) “It’s one for the money, two for the show, three to get ready” and… Five thoughts on a Friday! I know, I know… I skipped four. Hey, it isn’t in the song, either. Artistic license and all that.
- A question for the sports fans in Michigan. Why are you so quick to label the Tigers blowing the division a choke (it was), but so quick to defend your Red Wings who blew a 3games to 1 lead in the Stanley Cup finals? Instead blaming the refs, the media, the President of the United States, and anyone else you can think of. The Tigers choked, the Red Wings choked. Big deal, it happens. Deal with it. Hey, at least you don’t have to worry about your Lions. You know they’ll probably lose. (OK, that last one was a bit of a cheap shot, I admit it)
- It’s been a pretty slow week around here as far as spotting silly things to mock in this column. Still getting a lot of mileage out of the Somali pirate story though. That one needed it’s own post though. As a followup, we have a photo of the French Navy ship they tried to attack at the end of this page.
- This weekend is shaping up to be one of those weekends where you wish you were at work so you could goof off. There’s that much on the agenda – although most of it is weather dependent and will probably get rained out. Too bad that doesn’t make them go away.
- I’m a big believer in the “There’s a time and place for everything” theory. I also believe there are times you need to keep your freaking mouth shut. Noticing an issue that’s sure to piss off the boss is one of those times to keep your mouth shut. NOT TO BLURT IT OUT FOR THE ENTIRE BUILDING TO HEAR. Head. Desk. Slam. Thanks, thanks for making everyone’s day THAT much harder. Sheesh.
- I’m starting to see signs of Christmas decorations going up. Really folks, can we get to at LEAST Halloween before we worry about Christmas? Thanksgiving would be even better, but I’ll take Halloween. Next thing we know they’ll start going up after Labor Day!
Oh yeah, looks like a cargo ship to me!
Alright folks, enjoy your weekend! Where ever it may be.
Don’t you just love it when TV networks use that line?
Ok, this isn’t really “Torn from a headline”. This is an ACTUAL headline.
Pirates hit navy ship ‘in error’
That’s a heck of an error if you ask me! Here’s the link to the article, the details of which make it even funnier.
Pirates hit navy ship ‘in error’. – BBC News
Some of the high points:
- The pirates mistook a French Navy ship for a target. How do they pick these things, cruise around going “That one looks good!”?
- They attacked late at night. If your operating on the “That one looks good” philosophy – shouldn’t you try to make sure you can tell what you’re attacking, first?
- Guess the French Navy doesn’t surrender at the first site of someone else with a gun after all. “Admiral Prazuck told French TV station La Chaine Info the pirates seemed to be surprised that the navy ship fought back.” There are far too many jokes here. So many I can’t decide if it’s a place for one of the running ‘France surrenders’ jokes, or if it’s a commentary on the pirates.
I think I know the truth though. I think I know how things went south… I’m pretty sure this was overheard during the exchange with the pirates (Although I’m not sure who said it, probably the pirates)…
BUT WHY IS THE RUM GONE????