Howdy folks, and welcome to this week’s edition of Five thoughts. As you may have guessed, Beer’s getting ready for another Boondoggle. But I’m here for now, if my brain is already sending postcards from the road. I’ve been trying to get it to call in so we can get this post done, let’s see how it works out. And with that, here we go!
- If you’ve been following the blog for any amount of time, you’ve probably noticed that I used to be a big NHL until the last labor stoppage. At that point in their latest attempt at “cost certainty” they lost me. And then comes news that having ‘fixed’ the game.. That the NHL is preparing to take control of the New Jersey Devils (One of the leagues more high profile franchises) to prevent them from going into bankruptcy. Of course, this morning there’s a story in the Wall Street Journal with the league denying any possible takeover. So… they’re okay with the Devils filing for bankruptcy then? Like my co-blogger said yesterday… Queue the circus music!
- It seems like every year around this time, I’m getting ready for a boondoggle. And every year, this is when Shark Week is on. This is not necessarily a great fit. But hey, at least they don’t have an “Airliner Crash” week to show right before I have to get on a plane. That being said, what’s a Five Thoughts during Shark Week that doesn’t include a post about…. sharks! And if the ‘normal’ ones you see on TV aren’t enough to give you nightmares, check out these deep sea numbers, including one with over 300 teeth! If um… anyone needs me, I’ll be in the pool!
- Speaking of nasty, scary looking fish. How about an invasive species that can breathe air and survive out of water for extended periods? And has no natural predators in North America? So much so that a world record specimen has just been caught in Virginia? Yeah, that would be the aptly named ‘Frankenfish’. Did we mention it’s ugly? Yeah, no charge for the nightmares to come.
- I don’t think I have a tag for this sort of thing, but I could just go with a riff on the Ron Burgundy “Stay Classy” theme with a “You stay Classy, Kenya”. What am I taking about? Well, let’s go with the first line from the article…..
Officials in Kenya investigating the massive airport fire that gutted the arrival hall at Nairobi’s main airport said Thursday that first responders looted electronics, a bank and an ATM during and after the blaze. Maybe they just wanted to make sure the money didn’t burn up?
- Lastly, why going to circle around (just like a shark!) to Shark Week. Why? Well, there’s been some ‘controversy’ about it this year, especially their “special” (Possibly more aptly described as a “Mockumentary”) about Megalodon. It seems some people aren’t happy at all to have a sci-fi piece on Discovery. I have to say though… that’s not the big issue I have this year. And I hate to say it, but I think Shark Week has “Jumped the Shark“. Why? Well… it wasn’t the fake show, or the comedians, or anything like that. It was… The Hoff.
Okay folks, That’s five and I’m about ready to Boondoggle on down the road. PB will be in next week, and I’ll let him and the King sort out the Friday after that. Yes, this one is a BIG Boondoggle.
And as a bit of a bonus on the way out… If you’re still wondering about the origins of “Jumping the Shark”? Well, here you go!
Alrighty, I’m out of here. I have to get ready to boondoggle. And so, to help with preparations.. I give you the vocal stylings of the legendary… Don Ho with… Tiny Bubbles!
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Beer's Boondoggles, Commentary, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, NHL, Random, scary, Shark Week, Sharks, stupid
Good morning everyone, and welcome to another coffee fueled edition of Five Thoughts. The good news is, I have internet access today, so I don’t need to call in an emergency reliever (Big thanks to PB for subbing last week!). The bad news? Hehe… I have internet access this week and get to write today’s post! Let’s see where we land, shall we?
- I saw this one, and I knew I’d have to use it. This really does fall into the heading of, “If you use this for your PIN… you probably DESERVE to what you get”… Ladies and gentleman, the 10 Worst PIN numbers. (And why to we say PIN number? That’s what the N is for! If anything it should be PI Number!) And of course, I couldn’t read that article without think of this scene from Spaceballs!
- Next up as anyone who reads the blog knows, I like to post articles abut drones. And here comes another one. Except, this time they aren’t spying on you or shooting at anyone. They’re spying on Hurricanes. I think it’s cool, so I’m posting about it. Although now I have this mental image of a kid at a NASA drone pilots house running around going “Mom, where do hurricanes come from?” Yeah, I’m weird sometimes.
- Moving along, we have a public service announcement………
EVERYBODY PANIC! WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE! THEY FOUND A GIANT HOLE IN THE SUN! Okay, you don’t have to panic. But we are all gonna die, eventually, that’s how life works. And they did find a giant hole in the sun. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming, already in progress.
- As for this one… I’ve often wondered about it myself, but frankly I don’t think there really is any explanation. Even though they try to offer several theories. I think much like the Bermuda triangle, we just have to expect that when weird stuff happens, odds are it’s happening in Florida.
- Lastly, but certainly not least. A little something for you to ponder this weekend as you’re having a few cocktails. Because, what’s a weekend without a few drinks, right? That syrupy, sugary thing you’re calling a Daiquiri? You’re doing it wrong. Here’s what it used to be (And is supposed to be).
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m cutting out of here to start the weekend. We’ve got a car show, a concert, and even a fireworks display on tap for the weekend! Speaking of taps… yes. There will be beer involved. Hey, if you’re gonna go, go all the way. Right? (How’s THAT for a blast from the past?)
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Alcohol, Beer, Blog, Drinks, Features, Five Thoughts, Florida, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Random, Silly, Tech
Good morning everyone, and happy day before National Homebrew Day. And Happy Kentucky Oaks Day (aka Day before Derby Day). And of course, Happy Friday. Wow, that may be some sort of record for links in an intro. Now, onto more pressing/silly/stupid/amusing things….
- When I read this story, I couldn’t decide what was more disturbing… That a Connecticut man “lost his life savings on a carnival game“, Or that said man’s life savings amounted to – wait for it…. $2600. But, apparently that’s what he lost playing ‘ball toss’. Have no fear though, in true American fashion he’s suing the carnival operator claiming ‘the game was rigged’. Are we sure this didn’t really happen in Florida? Regardless, I think this guy needs a visit from our good friend Red.
- See? I knew it! We’re all doomed! Apparently a team at Oxford has determined that the human race is its own greatest threat to its own existence. We’re our own worst enemy? Really? I thought you folks at Oxford were smart. You needed ‘a team of experts’ to come up with that? Their reasoning though? We could face extinction due to our reliance on technology. Technology, huh? Did they not see the story about the guy losing his life savings? On ‘ball toss’? And technology is our big risk? I’m gonna go with.. people are stupid. That’s the main problem.
- Then again, maybe those blokes at Oxford are onto something. After all, this article on CNN.com is talking about how Google’s predictive search is now coming to the iPhone and iPad. Yes, it was out already for Android for a while – but now it’s pretty much everywhere. And it knows what you’re looking for. It remembers. And it learns. And it very much is starting to sound like Skynet. Which of course brought us a system that can’t be bargained with. Can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear…
- And of course, what’s a Friday post without something I like to call ‘news of the odd’. And I don’t care what the reason is. Bottling 300 gallons of your own urine and keeping it in your home is just… plain… odd! For crying out loud man… how many drug tests were you planning on faking, anyways??
- And lastly, sometime you just need to laugh and have a little fun. Which is without a doubt what a judge in San Antonio decided to do when he issued a hilarious ruling on a case involving strip clubs and what the dancers must wear at the clubs. Firing off classics such as “An ordinance dealing with semi-nude dancers has once again fallen on the Court’s lap” and “While the Court has not received amicus curiae briefs, the Court has been blessed with volunteers known in South Texas as ‘curious amigos’ to be inspectors general to perform on sight visits at the locations in question”. Notice the “On-Sight” inspections reference there in the last one? Clever!
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m off to work on some beer related stuff. Yep, Beer’s brewing tomorrow to celebrate homebrew day (a pilsner style for those who want to know). And once I finish, Maybe I’ll make myself some mint juleps. In the meantime, since one of my co-bloggers decided to hassle me for using a Toby Keith song last week, and in honor of the terminator reference up there… Well, let’s just go with a song that helped make the “I need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle” scene so iconic….
Yep, the T-100 was Bad to the Bone..
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Beer, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Homebrew, Kentucky Derby, Random, Silly, Skynet, stupid, Terminator, Weird