Howdy folks, and welcome to this week’s edition of Five thoughts. As you may have guessed, Beer’s getting ready for another Boondoggle. But I’m here for now, if my brain is already sending postcards from the road. I’ve been trying to get it to call in so we can get this post done, let’s see how it works out. And with that, here we go!
- If you’ve been following the blog for any amount of time, you’ve probably noticed that I used to be a big NHL until the last labor stoppage. At that point in their latest attempt at “cost certainty” they lost me. And then comes news that having ‘fixed’ the game.. That the NHL is preparing to take control of the New Jersey Devils (One of the leagues more high profile franchises) to prevent them from going into bankruptcy. Of course, this morning there’s a story in the Wall Street Journal with the league denying any possible takeover. So… they’re okay with the Devils filing for bankruptcy then? Like my co-blogger said yesterday… Queue the circus music!
- It seems like every year around this time, I’m getting ready for a boondoggle. And every year, this is when Shark Week is on. This is not necessarily a great fit. But hey, at least they don’t have an “Airliner Crash” week to show right before I have to get on a plane. That being said, what’s a Five Thoughts during Shark Week that doesn’t include a post about…. sharks! And if the ‘normal’ ones you see on TV aren’t enough to give you nightmares, check out these deep sea numbers, including one with over 300 teeth! If um… anyone needs me, I’ll be in the pool!
- Speaking of nasty, scary looking fish. How about an invasive species that can breathe air and survive out of water for extended periods? And has no natural predators in North America? So much so that a world record specimen has just been caught in Virginia? Yeah, that would be the aptly named ‘Frankenfish’. Did we mention it’s ugly? Yeah, no charge for the nightmares to come.
- I don’t think I have a tag for this sort of thing, but I could just go with a riff on the Ron Burgundy “Stay Classy” theme with a “You stay Classy, Kenya”. What am I taking about? Well, let’s go with the first line from the article…..
Officials in Kenya investigating the massive airport fire that gutted the arrival hall at Nairobi’s main airport said Thursday that first responders looted electronics, a bank and an ATM during and after the blaze. Maybe they just wanted to make sure the money didn’t burn up?
- Lastly, why going to circle around (just like a shark!) to Shark Week. Why? Well, there’s been some ‘controversy’ about it this year, especially their “special” (Possibly more aptly described as a “Mockumentary”) about Megalodon. It seems some people aren’t happy at all to have a sci-fi piece on Discovery. I have to say though… that’s not the big issue I have this year. And I hate to say it, but I think Shark Week has “Jumped the Shark“. Why? Well… it wasn’t the fake show, or the comedians, or anything like that. It was… The Hoff.
Okay folks, That’s five and I’m about ready to Boondoggle on down the road. PB will be in next week, and I’ll let him and the King sort out the Friday after that. Yes, this one is a BIG Boondoggle.
And as a bit of a bonus on the way out… If you’re still wondering about the origins of “Jumping the Shark”? Well, here you go!
Alrighty, I’m out of here. I have to get ready to boondoggle. And so, to help with preparations.. I give you the vocal stylings of the legendary… Don Ho with… Tiny Bubbles!
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Beer's Boondoggles, Commentary, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, NHL, Random, scary, Shark Week, Sharks, stupid
Good morning everyone, and welcome to another coffee fueled edition of Five Thoughts. The good news is, I have internet access today, so I don’t need to call in an emergency reliever (Big thanks to PB for subbing last week!). The bad news? Hehe… I have internet access this week and get to write today’s post! Let’s see where we land, shall we?
- I saw this one, and I knew I’d have to use it. This really does fall into the heading of, “If you use this for your PIN… you probably DESERVE to what you get”… Ladies and gentleman, the 10 Worst PIN numbers. (And why to we say PIN number? That’s what the N is for! If anything it should be PI Number!) And of course, I couldn’t read that article without think of this scene from Spaceballs!
- Next up as anyone who reads the blog knows, I like to post articles abut drones. And here comes another one. Except, this time they aren’t spying on you or shooting at anyone. They’re spying on Hurricanes. I think it’s cool, so I’m posting about it. Although now I have this mental image of a kid at a NASA drone pilots house running around going “Mom, where do hurricanes come from?” Yeah, I’m weird sometimes.
- Moving along, we have a public service announcement………
EVERYBODY PANIC! WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE! THEY FOUND A GIANT HOLE IN THE SUN! Okay, you don’t have to panic. But we are all gonna die, eventually, that’s how life works. And they did find a giant hole in the sun. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming, already in progress.
- As for this one… I’ve often wondered about it myself, but frankly I don’t think there really is any explanation. Even though they try to offer several theories. I think much like the Bermuda triangle, we just have to expect that when weird stuff happens, odds are it’s happening in Florida.
- Lastly, but certainly not least. A little something for you to ponder this weekend as you’re having a few cocktails. Because, what’s a weekend without a few drinks, right? That syrupy, sugary thing you’re calling a Daiquiri? You’re doing it wrong. Here’s what it used to be (And is supposed to be).
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m cutting out of here to start the weekend. We’ve got a car show, a concert, and even a fireworks display on tap for the weekend! Speaking of taps… yes. There will be beer involved. Hey, if you’re gonna go, go all the way. Right? (How’s THAT for a blast from the past?)
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Alcohol, Beer, Blog, Drinks, Features, Five Thoughts, Florida, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Random, Silly, Tech
Good morning everyone, and happy day before National Homebrew Day. And Happy Kentucky Oaks Day (aka Day before Derby Day). And of course, Happy Friday. Wow, that may be some sort of record for links in an intro. Now, onto more pressing/silly/stupid/amusing things….
- When I read this story, I couldn’t decide what was more disturbing… That a Connecticut man “lost his life savings on a carnival game“, Or that said man’s life savings amounted to – wait for it…. $2600. But, apparently that’s what he lost playing ‘ball toss’. Have no fear though, in true American fashion he’s suing the carnival operator claiming ‘the game was rigged’. Are we sure this didn’t really happen in Florida? Regardless, I think this guy needs a visit from our good friend Red.
- See? I knew it! We’re all doomed! Apparently a team at Oxford has determined that the human race is its own greatest threat to its own existence. We’re our own worst enemy? Really? I thought you folks at Oxford were smart. You needed ‘a team of experts’ to come up with that? Their reasoning though? We could face extinction due to our reliance on technology. Technology, huh? Did they not see the story about the guy losing his life savings? On ‘ball toss’? And technology is our big risk? I’m gonna go with.. people are stupid. That’s the main problem.
- Then again, maybe those blokes at Oxford are onto something. After all, this article on CNN.com is talking about how Google’s predictive search is now coming to the iPhone and iPad. Yes, it was out already for Android for a while – but now it’s pretty much everywhere. And it knows what you’re looking for. It remembers. And it learns. And it very much is starting to sound like Skynet. Which of course brought us a system that can’t be bargained with. Can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear…
- And of course, what’s a Friday post without something I like to call ‘news of the odd’. And I don’t care what the reason is. Bottling 300 gallons of your own urine and keeping it in your home is just… plain… odd! For crying out loud man… how many drug tests were you planning on faking, anyways??
- And lastly, sometime you just need to laugh and have a little fun. Which is without a doubt what a judge in San Antonio decided to do when he issued a hilarious ruling on a case involving strip clubs and what the dancers must wear at the clubs. Firing off classics such as “An ordinance dealing with semi-nude dancers has once again fallen on the Court’s lap” and “While the Court has not received amicus curiae briefs, the Court has been blessed with volunteers known in South Texas as ‘curious amigos’ to be inspectors general to perform on sight visits at the locations in question”. Notice the “On-Sight” inspections reference there in the last one? Clever!
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m off to work on some beer related stuff. Yep, Beer’s brewing tomorrow to celebrate homebrew day (a pilsner style for those who want to know). And once I finish, Maybe I’ll make myself some mint juleps. In the meantime, since one of my co-bloggers decided to hassle me for using a Toby Keith song last week, and in honor of the terminator reference up there… Well, let’s just go with a song that helped make the “I need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle” scene so iconic….
Yep, the T-100 was Bad to the Bone..
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Beer, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Homebrew, Kentucky Derby, Random, Silly, Skynet, stupid, Terminator, Weird
Good morning folks, and Happy Friday. Once again it appears that we’re all over the map this morning. And that’s fine, considering that people were all over the road on my drive in this morning. You’d have thought it was ice and sleet, not rain the way they were driving (and crashing). Fortunately, I managed to navigate all of that. So… on with the show!
- The NFL is in full swing, and even though we’re officially in week 2 (With the Packers beating the Bears last night) I’m going to focus on something from week 1. Now, every week/year in the NFL there’s something that gets focused on. I understand that. But the pants?
New NFL Pants Offer A Surprising Look
Mr. Cameraman? Did you *really* need to focus on THIS?
- Hehehe… Okay, now that we’ve established which direction we’re taking today’s post… Let’s take this chance to remind everyone that when you run spell check, it makes sure all the words are spelled correctly. Even if it wasn’t the word you meant to use. So when you’re making a sign for the local high school… Oops. If you look at it and don’t get it right away.. take your time and spell out all the words you think you see.
- That last one reminds me of a line from “The Princess Bride”. “You keep using that word…”
Why to I bring that up here? Because in the “Holy misleading headline, Batman!” department. Today on Yahoo! there was an article about Mandy Patinkin. The headline read “Actor slams TV show that made him famous“. Which made me think… That’s not why he’s famous! THIS is why he’s famous!
- Also in the news this week, an apology. Now, I’m not going to veer into politics here (I’d rather veer into oncoming traffic, first), but the DNC apologized for an error in its segment where it was honoring veterans at the democratic convention. Now, I’m going to write this off as an honest / innocent mistake. Because I wouldn’t have noticed it, wouldn’t have known. What this is… is a reminder to the rest of us. When doing a big, high-profile event.. make sure you know your audience, and check and double-check your facts. And your graphics. That way, when you’re putting together a presentation honoring American Veterans, you don’t put a graphic of RUSSIAN warships up on the screen behind them. Because you or I may not notice, but you can be darned sure the Navy veterans whose job it was to know about those ships certainly will! (Fortunately, here at The Beerbarrel we don’t think we’ll ever have to worry about doing anything high-profile!)
- And lastly for the week…. because I can… and because it’s cool. A real life Hot Wheels corkscrew jump! I think that says everything that needs to be covered right there.
Okay folks, that’s five thoughts and I’m about to phone it in for the rest of the day. After all, I need to get ready to make more beer this weekend! Yes, it’s probably safe to say Beermaker has been on a beer making rampage lately (and yes, I’m counting this last part as yet another post that I’ve managed to work a beer reference into). And who doesn’t love a good Rampage? (See what I did there? Used to love that game.)
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Advice, Beer, Cars, Commentary, Features, Five Thoughts, From the News, Hot Wheels, Movies, NFL, Random, Silly, Video Games
Good morning folks! Happy Friday. Since I was unable to make good on my threats from last week (That being to schedule another boondoggle and get a guest writer in here), let me welcome you to another edition of Five Thoughts. We took this week’s title from a couple of things. A few weather related posts, and just feeling flat out “worn-out”. Not to mention the depression I felt when I realized this is the first full work week I’ve put in in nearly a month! I really do need another vacation! Anyhow, let’s take a look at some of what was silly and/or strange in the world this week, shall we?
- We’ll start with something slightly weather related. And with that, the Beerbarrel’s “Congratulations Captain Obvious!” award goes to the brain surgeons who figure out that the city with the highest potential financial damage from a hurricane would be… New york City. Wow, really going out on a limb there, huh folks? I mean, it’s only been said before. It’s only the single largest city on the east coast. And it’s only right up on the ocean in a low lying area. Sad thing is, they probably got some sort of grant to re-state the obvious. So maybe I actually should congratulate them. Maybe they’re smarter than I realized.
- Speaking of flooding, and things looking weathered…. A well worn dock bearing Japanese markings washed up on shore in Oregon. Speculation is that it was washed out to sea in the March 2011 Tsunami that struck Japan. However, we aren’t talking about your typical dock you have up at the lake. This baby is 66 feet long and made of concrete! And this best part of the article? This massive hunk of concrete and metal was designed to FLOAT!
- Sometimes, things get dirty. Or dusty. Or whatever. What usually happens next though is generally pretty mundane. You clean things up. Often times, certain tools are used. Such as a vacuum cleaner. However, sometimes even cleaning with a vacuum cleaner is not mundane. Like when you’re cleaning up inside a nuclear powered submarine. Or when said vacuum sparks a fire that caused over $400 million in damage to said nuclear submarine. Yikes. It does beg the question though. What were they cleaning that caused the vacuum to start the fire???
- Speaking of fires, and heat… I would not to be anyone connected with the Belmont race course this weekend if the race does not go off as planned. I’ll Have Another has a chance to win horse racing’s triple crown… but a labor dispute is putting the race in jeopardy. While I understand the fact that a signature event being threatened is an effective negotiating tactic, ruining someone’s chance to achieve something that hasn’t been done since 1978 can be summed up in two words. Not Cool. If something happens to cancel the race, you just know there’s going to be lawsuits.
- Lastly… I’ve been debating on using this one for a while. I’ve joked about it, made references to it, outright mentioned it. What am I talking about? I’m talking about one heck of an earworm. (Or an ear tick, as a my co-blogger called it. Noting that it goes in but won’t come back out). I’m talking about Red Solo Cup. Which just missed out this week on being named video of the year at the country music awards. Why even mention that if it didn’t win? Well, even its singer openly described it as “the stupidest song I have ever heard in my life.”And yet it got recorded by him anyways. Seems to be working out for him.
Okay folks, that’s five and you’ve probably got a song stuck in your head now. And if you don’t… well, how about now?
Have a great weekend folks!
Sometimes…the world scares me…this is one of those times……
Finnish Weirdo from Zak McKee on Vimeo.