Howdy folks, and welcome to this week’s edition of Five thoughts. As you may have guessed, Beer’s getting ready for another Boondoggle. But I’m here for now, if my brain is already sending postcards from the road. I’ve been trying to get it to call in so we can get this post done, let’s see how it works out. And with that, here we go!
- If you’ve been following the blog for any amount of time, you’ve probably noticed that I used to be a big NHL until the last labor stoppage. At that point in their latest attempt at “cost certainty” they lost me. And then comes news that having ‘fixed’ the game.. That the NHL is preparing to take control of the New Jersey Devils (One of the leagues more high profile franchises) to prevent them from going into bankruptcy. Of course, this morning there’s a story in the Wall Street Journal with the league denying any possible takeover. So… they’re okay with the Devils filing for bankruptcy then? Like my co-blogger said yesterday… Queue the circus music!
- It seems like every year around this time, I’m getting ready for a boondoggle. And every year, this is when Shark Week is on. This is not necessarily a great fit. But hey, at least they don’t have an “Airliner Crash” week to show right before I have to get on a plane. That being said, what’s a Five Thoughts during Shark Week that doesn’t include a post about…. sharks! And if the ‘normal’ ones you see on TV aren’t enough to give you nightmares, check out these deep sea numbers, including one with over 300 teeth! If um… anyone needs me, I’ll be in the pool!
- Speaking of nasty, scary looking fish. How about an invasive species that can breathe air and survive out of water for extended periods? And has no natural predators in North America? So much so that a world record specimen has just been caught in Virginia? Yeah, that would be the aptly named ‘Frankenfish’. Did we mention it’s ugly? Yeah, no charge for the nightmares to come.
- I don’t think I have a tag for this sort of thing, but I could just go with a riff on the Ron Burgundy “Stay Classy” theme with a “You stay Classy, Kenya”. What am I taking about? Well, let’s go with the first line from the article…..
Officials in Kenya investigating the massive airport fire that gutted the arrival hall at Nairobi’s main airport said Thursday that first responders looted electronics, a bank and an ATM during and after the blaze. Maybe they just wanted to make sure the money didn’t burn up?
- Lastly, why going to circle around (just like a shark!) to Shark Week. Why? Well, there’s been some ‘controversy’ about it this year, especially their “special” (Possibly more aptly described as a “Mockumentary”) about Megalodon. It seems some people aren’t happy at all to have a sci-fi piece on Discovery. I have to say though… that’s not the big issue I have this year. And I hate to say it, but I think Shark Week has “Jumped the Shark“. Why? Well… it wasn’t the fake show, or the comedians, or anything like that. It was… The Hoff.
Okay folks, That’s five and I’m about ready to Boondoggle on down the road. PB will be in next week, and I’ll let him and the King sort out the Friday after that. Yes, this one is a BIG Boondoggle.
And as a bit of a bonus on the way out… If you’re still wondering about the origins of “Jumping the Shark”? Well, here you go!
Alrighty, I’m out of here. I have to get ready to boondoggle. And so, to help with preparations.. I give you the vocal stylings of the legendary… Don Ho with… Tiny Bubbles!
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Beer's Boondoggles, Commentary, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, NHL, Random, scary, Shark Week, Sharks, stupid
Happy Friday folks! I realized last week that I had strung together quite a few of these with “Beer” in the edition name I give each of these posts, so when I started coming up with a theme for this week I decided to tweak it to keep the trend going. Needless to say, I’m in a great mood this morning… more on that later though. Let’s get started on what was originally going to be the “Beaches in Mind” edition!
- Why does Beer have beaches in mind? Because, you guessed it, it’s time for another one of Beer’s Boondoggles! And almost as if on cue this morning, what do I see in the news? An article detailing some of the things the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has found in people’s bags (remember, these are the CHECKED bags!). Now, you would expect the occasion Cuban cigar, maybe even a handgun or two (actually, they find a LOT of these) but I certainly would not expect them to find eels, cannonballs, bear mace, or a fully fueled CHAINSAW! A chainsaw, really? Sheesh!
- Good thing that in all my travels I’ve never run across a situation like this. I mean, I like to think I do fairly well for myself (who doesn’t?) but I’m not sure I want to pay for the gas for an airliner. I don’t care how many travel points I get with my card! Filling up the pickup truck is painful enough!
- Keeping right on with the travel news… I’ve talked to a couple of friends about this. Most of them are parents, and they still share my basic opinion on this next one. We don’t get it. There’s been a lot of talk in the news lately about a policy held by at least two Australian airlines. That policy being male passengers seated next to unaccompanied minors were asked to swap seats with a female passenger. Now, apparently someone has gotten all worked up saying he felt he was treated like a pedophile. Maybe it’s different down under, but like I said, when I polled some friends, we didn’t get it. Most guys I know are more than happy to be moved away from the little kid that isn’t their own so they can get a some peace and quiet on the flight! I guess we’re just mean.
- More travel related stuff… sensing a theme here yet? I’ve come to the conclusion that its never a good idea to watch Shark Week before heading off to the ocean, but I do it anyways. Thank God they don’t have “Plane Crash Week”. Of course, it doesn’t have to be a shark in an ocean to cause problems. Apparently upset with the lack of attention it’s species was getting (Or just jealous of all of the shark coverage), a Pennsylvania beaver decided to make like a shark and attack a swimmer. Now, it wasn’t the part about it being rabid that caught my eye, or the fact that the beaver was killed. It was how lucky that swimmer consider himself after reading this line… “a beaver swam through his legs and bit him in the chest”. Think about that one for a second.
- Last but certainly not least… This weekend brings the return of the Woodward Dream Cruise. If you’ve never been, and you like cars, you must make plans to attend at least once. It’s just one of those things you need to do. The vehicles you’ll see there are amazing. Of course, you’ll leave with the itch to go buy something that goes really fast.
Okay, that’s five and with that I’m turning over the keys to the place to the King and PB for the next little bit. Fair warning, I haven’t left any specific instructions for them beyond one of them needs to do a Five Thoughts next week. Other than that, they can do whatever they like. And with that, I’ve got boondoggles and beaches in mind! Oh, and beer, and rum. Need those too!
Have a great weekend folks!
Holy hot Friday Batman! Howdy folks, and hiya from the blistering heat of… the great white north???? You’d think we were living in the desert or something here lately, except for the humidity. Oh well, could be worse I guess. Let’s get a move on, shall we?
- Since a good chunk of the country has been experiencing the same heat we had, I figured we’d get a celebrity to come in and talk about it. And since that didn’t work, I found a clip on youtube. So, just how hot is it?
- On the gaming front, I think this line sums it up nicely from an article yesterday on CNET.
“A slight disturbance in the Force was felt this morning after BioWare, LucasArts, and EA announced that Jedi and Sith everywhere can now preorder Star Wars: The Old Republic for a limited time.”
I’m undecided on the pre-ordering. Heck, the game is still in the beta. I’m pretty sure you WILL find me logging in once it goes live though. Even if it’s just to have a look around at it. Of course, it isn’t ALL great news on SWTOR front. It appears some people aren’t thrilled with the plan for a limited launch. Me, I’ll admit to not thinking too much about it. Of course, talking about Star Wars gives me an excuse to use this, too. And any excuse to use this one is always welcome. Go for papa Palpatine!
Heck, since we’re on a Star Wars kick, let’s throw in one more!
- Like a lot of other people. I’m fascinated by Shark Week. And it starts July 31st. Apparently, nobody told the sharks though. They seem to have started early.
Last week there was a report of an 18 foot Great White in Massachusetts. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen that movie before. But then today, I find another article about sharks. Now, I’ve always thought those folks in South Africa who go out to watch the flying great white sharks in boats smaller than the sharks were crazy, idiots, insane, well… you get the picture. Why did I think that? THIS, This is why I thought that. The damned shark LANDED ON THE BOAT.
Chief Brodie, what do you think of all this?
- Of course, not to be out done. Some dogs have gotten in on the action in the land down under. A dog was swimming around and actually bit a shark! Yes, you read that correctly. It doesn’t say the dog was bitten by a shark, it says the dog bit the shark. That’s right, Fido was doing the biting.
- My my my, we’re killing the bandwidth with the videos today, aren’t we? So let’s keep it up. They say you’re not supposed to cry over spilled milk, right? Well, how about One Million Dollars worth spilled wine? Cry? I’d probably be screaming bloody murder. Again, it was worth One. Million. Dollars.
Ok, that’s five and we’re off to see the lizard.. no, wait.. that was yesterday. Some friends (not me) went to see Jimmy Buffet. He was definitely the king of somewhere hot last night. Me, I stayed in and tried to stay cool. So, let’s head on into the weekend. And although I know my co-blogger will probably start doing his “Hulk Smash” routine when he sees I used it, I have to close out with this one. It’s just too easy.
Have a great (and cool) weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Commentary, Dogs, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Heat, Heat Wave, Hot, Jimmy Buffet, postaweek2011, Shark Week, Sharks, Silly, Star Wars, Video Games, Videos, Wine