Well, it’s been awhile but Beer figured that he’d allow me to post again. So, I’m going to do my thing and here we go….
1. I know my co-bloggers have stated their feelings on the lockout and Beer made it pretty obvious he won’t be back. Apparently, he’s not the only one. I was surprised just as many were and that “One-third of Canadians polled consider themselves “passionate” about hockey, one-third is neutral on the topic and one-third has no interest at all.” That means that 2/3 of Canadians are not concerned about the lockout. You hear that NHL and NHLPA, 2/3 of Canadians..yes Canadians aren’t interested anymore…have fun splitting those profits. Bonus note though, I found this ad to be interesting….
2. During the holidays, we all buy products that we probably don’t think about where they are made. We might for awhile become passionate about “Made in the USA” products, but after a while we find that finding items like that in all levels of purchases becomes difficult. I do believe if I received this in a purchase, I’d seriously work harder on looking at the labels.
3. I can’t believe that Christmas has come and gone already. I tried to watch as many of my favorite Christmas movies as possible, but I missed one of my favorites. So for all to enjoy is a clip that I just love….
4. I love going to the Ripley’s Fish Aquarium in Gatlingburg and Myrtle Beach. One of the highlights is going in the tunnel and watching the sharks swim past you. I might have to rethink that after seeing this video..yikes!
5. As we approach the New Year, I was intrigued to find out that I missed alot from the past year (like my appendix). I’m even more surprised to find out that missed all these new words and phrases.
Well folks, there you have it. Beer should be back from his “Alcoholiday” next week and I’m off to “Douse the Edisons.”
Good morning folks and welcome to yet another edition in the continuing saga of Five Thoughts (Too over the top? I was going for overly-dramatic in a lighthearted way). As you may have heard, today is Friday the 13th. To which I say, big deal. It’s still a Friday. So we got that going for us. As for today’s working title? It’s borrowed from a horror movie (for its time) that had a lot of people staying out of the water. Why did I go with that? Because most of this week’s thoughts center on things *in* the water. Let’s dive in, shall we? (See what I did there?)
- By now you’ve all seen me use the “We’re gonna need a bigger boat” joke. Well, these guys may need a new wetsuit. I know I surely would! Why? Oh, nothing really just a freaking huge great white shark between them and their boat! Best part (aside from them being okay)? They got video!
- Then again, there are times when being in the boat isn’t very helpful either. If you won’t go get in the water with the fish, the fish will come to you! No, I’m not talking about the shark plopping up on the back of the boat in Jaws. Still, getting hit by a flying carp has got to hurt.
- Okay, so we’ve established we should stay out of the water. But then the fish just jump in the boat. I know! We’ll get fishing nets and catch the fish! If they’re caught in the net, they can’t jump out of the water at us! Right? What’s that? A what is doing what? Oh bother. It appears that a bunch of fish in a net, makes a tasty snack for a whale shark.
- Okay, yeah. I’m done with being on the water. We’ll just go up in the hills. No water problems there, right? Wrong. It seems that up in Colorado, the temperatures warmed up, the water in the soil melted, and exposed a giant sinkhole, closing a freeway. Except… it wasn’t exactly a sinkhole, “it was determined that the sinkhole is actually a century-old railroad tunnel that collapsed decades ago”. So let me get this straight. Did the civil engineers not survey the area when they built that road? How do you not know there’s an old railroad tunnel right under where you’re building a highway?
- And lastly, one from the other side of the pond (And that will be the only water reference in this one). It’s completely unrelated, but I have to put it in here because the title of the article made me laugh, and think of my co-blogger. After all, what’s more important than a family feud over… sausage. Yes, you read that correct. It’s a kielbasa war! Berlin gripped by family feud over sausages.
Okay, that’s five and I’ll stop inflicitng horrible jokes and snide remarks on all of you now. After all, I have beer ingredients to go buy, beers to bottle, oh, yeah, and beers that need drinking. All in some sort of random order. Maybe I’ll even see about getting out on the boat. Nah, probably not.I’ll leave the sailing to sailors.
Have a great weekend folks!
Howdy folks, and welcome to another Friday post filled with… stuff. Been a rough week around here, with my co-blogger and I seemingly having a competition that neither of us wanted to have, nor win. More on that, and a bunch of other… stuff to cover this week. Shall we what’s rattling around in Beer’s brain this week? (Consider yourselves warned!)
- “Hey Beer, you called this the Jobbie Nooner Edition. Shouldn’t you be on the lake right now?” Well, technically it’s on an island in a river, not a lake. But to answer your question in two parts… Yes, I *do* believe I should be on a lake right now but hell no I don’t want to be anywhere near that mass of humanity. I’m not a big fan of drunken crowds. When you add in a bunch of people operating boats while drinking (Note: Many attendees are responsible boaters. This is a case of a few nitwits giving everyone a bad name), well… I’ll pass. I know the boating skills of the general populace in my area. I’m not overly impressed when they’re sober. Let alone when they’re drinking. However, it is a big party. And it is a big tradition around here. If you want more info on it, check it out here. Before you go though.. let me warn you of one other reason I choose not to attend. Remember folks… What is seen, can never be unseen. If you catch my meaning.
- So, LeBron James finally won an NBA championship last night. I’ll admit, I didn’t watch. I was watching
paint dry water boil um, actually, I don’t know what I was watching. But I know it wasn’t basketball. That being said, now that he has a ring, I’m sure some of his critics will get off his case. And I’m sure none of the ones who do will likely be from the Cleveland area. I haven’t checked yet this morning to see if LeBron got trashed out on twitter by NHL players the way he did after game 4 though. That was good for a laugh.
- Speaking of the NHL… They have the first round of their draft on tonight. Once again I think I’ll spend my time watching paint dry or water boil. Sorry, but the NHL draft is far closer to the MLB draft than to NFL or NBA drafts. Even the first round doesn’t wind me up. Why? Simple really, just like baseball – with the exception of one or two kids (Who you’ve never even heard of unless you’re some uber geek fan) the draft goes like this. Team goes up to the podium, drafts a kid that fans can expect to (hopefully) see on the big club’s roster in 2-4 years, and goes and sits back down. It’s not the NFL where you know these guys are probably on the team when the season fires back up. Again, yes there are exceptions but for the most part that’s how it goes down. Pretty much the most excitement you can hope for is on the trade front.
- As I mentioned in the intro, stuff’s been breaking lately. And I have to say, in a competition that no one truly wins… My co-blogger won. I lost a hot water heater. My co-blogger lost his A/C. On two of the hottest days of the year. So yeah, he “won”. Fortunately we’re both back up running at the moment. Which means that we’re now waiting for the next thing to break.
- Which leads to one other observation. Over the past week, we’ve been hit by a heatwave. And so I couldn’t help but think of ways to try to beat the heat. And then when I an article about New York having an ice cream shortage, I thought… “That’s just mean”. I also figured, “well, at least they can go for a swim”. Then I saw the next two articles… Which are enough to make you afraid to go back into the water. For freshwater… We have the 300-plus pound alligator gar. And if that thing didn’t have enough teeth for you… How about the great white sharks off the coast of Massachusetts? Yeah, I’m gonna go find a swimming pool. Or a slip and slide or something.
Okay folks, I’m done complaining about stuff and I’m off to get ready to make some more beer this weekend. Yep, because nothing beats the heat like standing over a kettle full of boiling sugary liquid! In the meantime… some Ice Cream to keep the rest of you cool.
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Beer, Draft, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Ice Cream, NBA, News, NHL, Sharks, Silly
Howdy folks and welcome to another Friday. We made it. And now as a reward, we get to head into one of the craziest weekends we’ve seen in a while. There’s so much going on I’m not even sure where to start or what to talk about this week (St. Patrick’s Day coming up, NFL Free agency, and this tiny little basketball tournament is kicking off). I certainly never settled on any semblance of a theme for this week’s post. Let’s see where we land, shall we?
- I’m gonna take a quick detour and start with this one. Last night there was some pretty nasty weather that hit just west of Ann Arbor, Michigan. Thankfully there were no fatalities. Why do I bring it up? Because from time to time, I like to make fun of some of the idiotic headlines I see in the news. This is one of those times. Apparently CNN still hasn’t gotten the memo about what happened. There’s front page today has a link to a story that says, I kid you not…
“Apparent tornado hits Mich. homes”
Really? “Apparent”? Yes CNN, “Apparently” it was a tornado. And this is what an “Apparent” tornado looks like. Wasn’t hard to find it. The language is a bit crude, you may want to mute it if you’re in an office. More info on the storm here at the Detroit Free Press.
- Going to put this one here for now, because it’s cool looking and fun, and it seems to remind everyone of the Batmobile. I do share one common question with a lot of people though. How does it handle with the front wheels so close together? From the in car video, it seems to do okay.
- Get your green on! St. Patrick’s day is coming up tomorrow. Now, a few words of warning… If you’re planning on partying all day, be careful on what you drink. Think about it. If the drink you have in your hand is named for something meant to do great bodily harm, what do you think the drink is supposed to do? And yes, I’m looking at you Irish Car Bomb. And remember, you’re supposed to WEAR green. Not LOOK GREEN at the end of the night. The next morning? Well, that’s a personal choice.
- I always figured the term “March Madness” was born of the hype and excitement of the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament.
Then one of those stories that you just can’t make up comes along, like this one from USA Today.
Vasectomies up during NCAA basketball tournament
And… suddenly, “Madness” has a new meaning behind it!
- Lastly, spring is coming. Or in some cases already here. Beach season is fast approaching. Why do I bring this up? Because….
“Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water”
It seems, to quote the byline for the article “a report that suggests global warming is sparking an uptick in shark mating”
If that’s true, then at some point… “http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT9BeGNnCqw”
(Sorry, but there’s no way I’m doing a shark story without busting out that clip)
Okay folks, that’s five and I am off to get a green shirt, some green food coloring, and… oh yeah, green beer! Now I know there’s going to be a lot of invoking of “luck” this weekend. Luck of the Irish, Luck of the draw, teams in the NFL with free agency, and especially teams and fans in the NCAA tournament looking for luck. so I figured I’d work on something “luck” based to close things out.
I came up with Paul McCartney doing “With a Little Luck”
and then I found Loverboy doing “Lucky Ones”
but that still didn’t seem to get the vibe I was going for. Then it hit me. Go for Old Blue Eyes. Luck, be a Lady.
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Cars, Drinking, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, March Madness, Michigan, NCAA, Sharks, Weather
Howdy folks, and welcome to yet another “Five Thoughts”. Beer’s in a good mood this morning. Why? Well, read along and see if you can figure it out. Let’s get started!
- I saw this on ESPN last night, I tweeted about it, and it still has me ticked off. ESPN did their “Top 10 Rivalries”.. now, I was at the bar (shocker!) and I don’t remember all of them but I do remember this…
Yankees/Red Sox was number 1. I have no problem with that.
Harvard/Yale made the list. Really?!?!? Okay, I know it’s a rivalry, but other than the folks who went to one of those schools (And let’s be honest here, it isn’t THAT many people – it’s about the money) who really watches that game. Is it even on TV? (ESPN 8 maybe?)
What really got me cranked up though was number 10 on the list. The only hockey rivalry mentioned. Boston/Montreal. Good old fashioned original six hockey as God intended. Except for one thing… They went with the US slant and completely ignored a little rivalry between Toronto and Montreal. And Detroit and Toronto (sort of dormant right now), and Detroit/Chicago (Want a US slant, there you go). Seriously though… I think I liked it better when ESPN just ignored hockey in favor of things like poker and dodgeball.
- From the news… This one struck me as odd. And not really even “news”. More of a fluff/interest piece if you ask me. But still, when you run a headline link as “25 best places to find rich singles“, it’s just really odd that each place listed talks about the “Median Family Income“. So, let’s review… “Find rich SINGLES” and “Median FAMILY Income”. Am I the only one seeing a disconnect there? Didn’t think so. And my criticism of internet editors can continue unabated. (By the way – we operate without any type of editor here. As if you needed us to actually point it out. I think our typos and grammatical errors speak for themselves.)
- Being self confessed “car guys” here at the Beerbarrel, I’d be remiss if I didn’t make mention of an event coming up this weekend. The Woodward Dream Cruise. If you’re a fan of cars, you should go at least once to see it. It skews to older American muscle cars, but there is something there for everyone. It’ll definitely take you back, even if it’s to a time before you were born. And you might even see one or two of these..
- What won’t you see at the Dream Cruise? Probably one of these. Ok, I’ve seen motorized beer coolers, bar stools, and all that before. They’re funny. They’re toys. Let’s cover this again people…. They Are Not For Driving On Actual Roads. Especial after tossing a few back! Got it? Good. Red?
(Yeah, we pretty much keep that clip bookmarked for occasions like this.)
- I have to pick on this article before I go. Now, make no mistake. Getting attacked by a shark is not cool. I’d prefer not to be someone they interview for shark week. But when you read a report of a shark attack with this line in it…
“Witnesses said the shark was about 13 feet (4 meters) long with large fins, according to the Pravda report.”
Oh, good. Thanks for clearing that up. We know JUST which shark it was now. Good grief….
Ok folks, that’s Five and I.. am… out of here! Keep an eye out for the King next week. He’ll be minding the store. Why? Well, Gold old Beer is… well.. I’ll just let Willie explain it.
(And as for that being stuck in your head all day now.. You’re welcome)
Have a great weekend folks!
Holy hot Friday Batman! Howdy folks, and hiya from the blistering heat of… the great white north???? You’d think we were living in the desert or something here lately, except for the humidity. Oh well, could be worse I guess. Let’s get a move on, shall we?
- Since a good chunk of the country has been experiencing the same heat we had, I figured we’d get a celebrity to come in and talk about it. And since that didn’t work, I found a clip on youtube. So, just how hot is it?
- On the gaming front, I think this line sums it up nicely from an article yesterday on CNET.
“A slight disturbance in the Force was felt this morning after BioWare, LucasArts, and EA announced that Jedi and Sith everywhere can now preorder Star Wars: The Old Republic for a limited time.”
I’m undecided on the pre-ordering. Heck, the game is still in the beta. I’m pretty sure you WILL find me logging in once it goes live though. Even if it’s just to have a look around at it. Of course, it isn’t ALL great news on SWTOR front. It appears some people aren’t thrilled with the plan for a limited launch. Me, I’ll admit to not thinking too much about it. Of course, talking about Star Wars gives me an excuse to use this, too. And any excuse to use this one is always welcome. Go for papa Palpatine!
Heck, since we’re on a Star Wars kick, let’s throw in one more!
- Like a lot of other people. I’m fascinated by Shark Week. And it starts July 31st. Apparently, nobody told the sharks though. They seem to have started early.
Last week there was a report of an 18 foot Great White in Massachusetts. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen that movie before. But then today, I find another article about sharks. Now, I’ve always thought those folks in South Africa who go out to watch the flying great white sharks in boats smaller than the sharks were crazy, idiots, insane, well… you get the picture. Why did I think that? THIS, This is why I thought that. The damned shark LANDED ON THE BOAT.
Chief Brodie, what do you think of all this?
- Of course, not to be out done. Some dogs have gotten in on the action in the land down under. A dog was swimming around and actually bit a shark! Yes, you read that correctly. It doesn’t say the dog was bitten by a shark, it says the dog bit the shark. That’s right, Fido was doing the biting.
- My my my, we’re killing the bandwidth with the videos today, aren’t we? So let’s keep it up. They say you’re not supposed to cry over spilled milk, right? Well, how about One Million Dollars worth spilled wine? Cry? I’d probably be screaming bloody murder. Again, it was worth One. Million. Dollars.
Ok, that’s five and we’re off to see the lizard.. no, wait.. that was yesterday. Some friends (not me) went to see Jimmy Buffet. He was definitely the king of somewhere hot last night. Me, I stayed in and tried to stay cool. So, let’s head on into the weekend. And although I know my co-blogger will probably start doing his “Hulk Smash” routine when he sees I used it, I have to close out with this one. It’s just too easy.
Have a great (and cool) weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Commentary, Dogs, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Heat, Heat Wave, Hot, Jimmy Buffet, postaweek2011, Shark Week, Sharks, Silly, Star Wars, Video Games, Videos, Wine
Howdy folks, and welcome to another Five Thoughts. Due to Beer stayng up to watch the Wings/Sharks last night, I’m running a bit behind today and I’m pressed for time. So today’s post is going to include a quick wrap up of our second round picks, and then we’ll try to get to some silly stuff. See, I really do write this stuff on a Friday!
- It’s on the the conference finals for the NHL playoffs now. In the West you have Vancouver and San Jose and in the East it’s Boston and Tampa Bay. We’ll get to the writeup for the picks later tonight or tomorrow morning.
- I have to say it wasn’t the ending I wanted last night with San Jose winning, but as someone who’s been fairly critical of the NHL I have to give credit. That was one of the best , closest playoff series I’ve seen in a long, long time. Take away Detroit’s empty netter in game six and every single game was a one goal game. That one went 7 games and there wasn’t a snoozer in the bunch. Good show, boys. Okay… on to the silly!
- Silly, sad, or dumb? Not sure I can decide. It appears that not Maytag has decided that the Maytag Repairman is going to be taking a back seat in their commercials. Now, I know the original guy is no longer with us. And the new guy doesn’t seem to have caught on as much, but still… so much for pop culture. I guess nobody gets ANY appliances fixed anymore, huh?
- Speaking of pop culture…I’m willing to give Johnny Depp a fair bit of leeway I guess, and let him have the benefit of the doubt for now but I have to admit, When I read the headline “Depp wants to ‘reinvent’ Lone Ranger-Tonto relationship” well, let’s just say the first thought to cross my mind was the line from Star Wars…. “I’ve got a bad feeling about this”. You’re messing with pop culture history there.
- If you’re traveling in the near future, you may want to skip this next one. It’s a video of a lightning strike on a plane landing in London. Personally, I think it’s freaking cool. Especially since it didn’t harm the plane and nobody got hurt.
Ok, that’s a quick five folks. Not quite as hockey heavy as I thought it was gonna be, but still worked some in there. And now, I’ve gotta jet. Weekend is here.
You know who else knew how to jet? Hugh Hefner, that’s who. This one is worth it just for the background music.
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Commercials, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, hockey, Hugh Hefner, Johnny Depp, Lightning, Lone Ranger, Maytag Repairman, NHL, Playboy, playoffs, Pop Culture, postaweek2011, Red Wings, Sharks, Silly, Travel
Yesterday I gave credit on Twitter to Terry Foster from the Detroit News and 97.1Fm in Detroit for a gutsy call after the Red Wings went down 0-3 in their second round match up in the NHL playoffs. Even got a response!
So today comes game seven. One game, winner take all. Anything can happen. But I also need to give a call out to my co-blogger. Almost two weeks ago (April 29th), we posted this gem:
King: The Sharks did not look that impressive against the Kings. The Wings looked good, but not great against the ‘Yotes. This one is all heart pick. Wings in 7.
I really have to wonder though… did he expect that we’d see this series go seven games in quite this fashion? I’m gonna guess no, but no matter what I gotta say he picked it just about right regardless of tonight’s result.
Me, I picked the wings (again, to the chagrin of some) and I’ll be out to catch the game tonight. Yes. I’m a glutton.
BTW – does anyone even remember who’s playing in the Eastern Conference? Didn’t they finish up about a month ago?
Posted in Uncategorized
Tagged 97.1 The Ticket, Detroit, Detroit News, From Beermaker's Brain, hockey, NHL, picks, playoffs, Red Wings, Sharks, Silly, Terry Foster, Twitter