Happy Friday everyone! Hope you all survived and enjoyed turkey day yesterday. I’ll do my best to keep it quick and light-hearted this week, in an effort to get finished up before I slip back into a turkey induced coma. So with that in mind, let’s get at it, shall we?
- Is it really appropriate to call today black Friday anymore? It seems to me that the name, which originally came from this being they day when brick and mortar retailers would see their stores reach the point of profitability for the year (Which would be shown in black ink rather than red for showing a loss), hence the name. With the sales starting earlier and earlier now, I just don’t see the connection anymore. Ah well…. maybe I’m just getting too old.
- It is now officially acceptable to not only have Christmas decorations up, but to turn them on at night in my world. And for the record the earliest official time it’s acceptable in my world occurs just after sundown on Thanksgiving. I think it goes back to when I was growing up, and we’d be watching the Cowboys game at grandma’s house. At some point during that game, Norelco would run an ad with Santa Claus using the top of an electric razor as a sled. And that came to signal that it was Christmas time to me.
- Now, I’m gonna say this up front. I didn’t go out shopping yesterday. We aren’t going out shopping today, either. But for everyone yelling about places being open and available to shop – deal with it. You’re in the minority. We live in a democratic republic, and people have voted… with their wallets. Maybe it has something to do with their being fewer shopping days this year. I don’t know. I know you won’t get me to go out in that madness, but obviously enough people will to make it worthwhile for stores to be open. So that’s that.
- On a more cheerful note if you happen to be from my neck of the woods – we got to see something from a group that works every single Thanksgiving day that we haven’t seen in a decade. The Detroit Lions won a game on Thanksgiving for the first time since 2003! And for that, I am thankful!
- Lastly, it’s not a post from me without some sort of random geek type news, and this one is no different. Again, these are here because I think a story about how a comet basically appears to have burned up while flying too close to the sun is cool. If you’ll pardon the pun.
Okay folks, that’s a quick five thoughts on black Friday and I’m off to get back to work. Which in this case means I’m off to make a turkey and swiss omelet. In the meantime, considering I did wake up to snow on the ground yesterday… It is now time to bust these out. After all, it did sorta look like a Marshmallow World.
Have a great weekend folks!