Happy Friday folks, and welcome to another Friday. What’s been going on.. well… Let’s jump right in and find out, shall we?
- Beer’s currently writing this from an undisclosed, secure location. No, I’m not being guarded by the Secret Service. You see, I know I had mentioned last week that we’d talk about some homebrewing and stuff this week, and that was indeed the plan. Then the 7-11 storm hit. No, we didn’t get pelted with Slurpees. That would have done less damage. We got a nasty storm. 70+ mph winds. Broken trees. And no power. Yuck. So, no writing at the house, and no beer brewing for Beermaker.
And by broken trees, I mean like this….
- Why no beer brewing? Well, for one.. I use electricity when I brew to run a small pump. More importantly though, the brewing equipment is in the garage. And I couldn’t open it. Yes, I know exactly how the emergency release works. It was actually the small matter of my electric line laying across the top of my garage that kept me from trying to open my metal garage door. See how that works? I like NOT being electrocuted.
- Other than that, it really hasn’t been horrible. It hasn’t been unbearably hot, so the house is comfortable. We kept the freezers closed, so we didn’t lose anything (What is with some of these people who throw out their whole freezer after 5 hours?), although I think the frozen turkey may have acted as a giant ice block. And… I got to play with a chainsaw again! And got stung by a bee. The chainsaw was definitely the more fun option.
- Speaking of chainsaws… There is something inherently ingrained in the male psyche about power tools. The bigger the better. So when you head around the neighborhood and everyone has the little 14″ toy chain saws for cutting shrubs, it’s very satisfying to look down and look at this one.
It also brought this to mind…
- Since this post has been mostly about destruction, instead of homebrewing… How about closing with a news item that combines a bit of both (at least allegedly) from across the pond:
Boston explosion: Unconfirmed local speculation of home brewing at unit
Now, a couple of quick thoughts on this… As a homebrewer, I find it highly unlikely that if they were brewing something, that it was beer. I’ve had beer “explode” before. It is not a violent, rapid, flaming explosion. That would be cleaner. No, when fermenting beer “explodes” it’s generally because the airlock on the fermenter plugged up with the gunk (called krausen). The resulting CO2 pressure then usually blows sticky, slimy stuff all over the place.
Now, if they were DISTILLING something on the other hand… But, that’s a story for another day.
Ok, let’s head on out. And since I have been talking about a lack of power, let’s head back to the 80’s for an easy solution.. Power Station!
I’m off to spend the weekend with my chainsaw… Might be a BABF in my near future. (BABF = Big A$$ed BonFire)
Have a great weekend (with electricity) folks!