Happy Friday everyone, and welcome to this week’s edition of Five Thoughts. A big thanks to the King for this week’s title. Boy it’s been a week around here, and as a result the title sure does fit. It’s almost like there’s something in the water (Which is why I prefer beer). That being said, let’s get to it!
- We’ll start with the one that prompted the King to come up with the “What the Friday?” theme. I think it’s a fairly well established fact that I’ve had my fair share of boondoggles. But what do you do when you can’t afford, or don’t have the time for a boondoggle? Why, you send your stuffed animals on a boondoggle for you! Or at least, that’s what one company is hoping you will do. And for a price, they’ll chaperone your stuffed friends around the globe.
- I’m sure you’ve probably seen the news, at some point recently about how the NSA has been monitoring communications. (The whole Edward Snowden thing and resulting stories). I’m not here to take sides, I’m not here to point fingers. I’m here to tell you that when you’re talking on the phone, sometimes it isn’t the wiretap you need to be worried about in regards to someone listening in. Or um… live tweeting updates about your conversation. Oops.
- This one is for our friend Red. After all, I’ve been in the ocean many many times. I know there is an inherent risk. Surfers probably know that even more acutely. But given the number of bad shark attacks in the Hawaiian Islands this year… if you’re on a surfboard and you literally see a shark fin in your general area, isn’t it time to be on the beach? Yes, the shark ‘attacked’ a surfer. And by that I mean bit the board. The surfer ended up off the board on basically on top of the shark. After punching it, the shark retreated. I’m glad no one was really injured. But for staying in the water when you knew for a fact there was a large shark on the prowl in the area? Well, Red?
- Hey Red? Don’t go anywhere just yet. Or at least, maybe head over to Austria. They’re going to need you over there. From the news comes a story out of Vienna of a woman trading a live tank shell. I repeat, a live tank shell online. For a picture frame and two bottles of wine. After having used the shell for a doorstop. Take it away Red.
- Lastly… Sir Paul McCartney is damned cool. Aside from the being a Beatle, doing spontaneous free concerts, and all that good stuff. You know how else you can tell? Look at the people he can get to be in his latest music video. Yeah, and he can still sort of play a bit, too.
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m off to fight my way through what’s left of the day. And yes, I’m gonna warn you right now. because after all, with calling this the “What the Friday” edition…. there’s was really only one “What” themed song to use, especially since it sort of fits…
Have a great weekend folks!
Happy Friday folks! And welcome to this week’s non-furloughed edition of Five Thoughts. Apparently we’ve been judged ‘essential’. Or we aren’t run by the government. Okay, okay, enough shutdown jokes. Let’s see what’s still going on this week shall we? Because even when the government stops, the world still gives us plenty of material to work with!
- It probably won’t have the same late night infomercial appeal as some of the more ‘adult’ themed versions, but it appears that in Maine they’re dealing with…. “Turkeys Gone Wild!”
(I’ll vouch for a large presence of turkeys in Michigan, too. Plus we have some of the birds, too. )
Hey, at least it’s somewhat seasonally appropriate, considering Thanksgiving is lurking just around the corner.
- I think this next one is kind of cool, although it obviously happened a while back, since it involves a government office that was actually open. I think it’s cool for two reasons, first… in a world of bad news, this ends well. And Second, I didn’t even know there was a Mutilated Currency Division of the Department of Treasury. So what happened? Well, according to the article – it wasn’t homework that a man’s dog ate, but rather $500 in cash. Frankly, I don’t think they verified the taped together restored bills. I think it was probably worth the $500 to not have to touch them.
- I got nothing on this next one. I mean really. I don’t. I can’t see any reason at all why someone wouldn’t come forward. The German police have already said that they’ve been unable to link the haul to any crime, and have not seen any claims from any legitimate owners. So why wouldn’t someone come forward to claim several pounds of gold and a six-figure sum of euros in cash? Nope, nothing fishy about that at all. Just walk in, claim it, and walk out. Easy, right?
- Sometimes these stories are enough to make you think there’s a full moon again this week. Especially when you see a headline that reads… “Birthday cake attacked in Wash. courthouse“. Yeah. This is another one where I don’t even know where to start. Safer in court than in the car with your dog. You often being your dog along and leave it in the car while you go to court? Leaving it at home wasn’t an option? No trunk in the car? And referring to the person who trashed the cake as a ‘cake molester’? Disturbing.
- Speaking of disturbing, this one should ‘bug’ a lot of people. There are scary bugs, and then there are giant Chinese hornets that are the size of your hand that are killing people. Yes. You read that correctly. They are that big, and they are capable of killing people. A quote from the video in the link… “Stingers that are up to a quarter-inch long”. Yep, scary. Enjoy the nightmares folks!
Okay folks, that’s five and it’s time for me to roll on out of here. So remember folks, when you can’t agree on something the best course of action is always to dig in and shut it down. Calling each other poopie-head is optional though. Or you could just listen to the Beach Boys and settle it on the race track.
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Cake, China, Commentary, Features, Five Thoughts, From the News, Hornets, Money, scary, Silly, stupid, Turkey
Happy Friday everyone!
Why’s Beer in such a good mood this week? Is he planning another boondoggle or something? No, no. Well, I am, but it isn’t for a while. No, I’m happy because I might actually get a chance to sleep tomorrow! But, enough about that. It’s been a crazy week, and I there a few things I’ve been thinking about (It being Friday and all). So with that, it’s time for this week’s Five Thoughts.
- Let’s start with some news from the “You’re night real bright, are you?” department. We’ve all heard the phrase “Young and dumb”. The latest example of taking it a bit too far? A 26 year old in Pennsylvania finds himself now charged with a felony. For barking at a police dog at a DUI checkpoint. I do believe this is where we bring in our hero Red….
- Switching gears to the technology front. I’m currently able to do a side by side comparison of the new Apple operating system upgrade and the old version. Being the Luddite that I am, I have not yet upgrade while people I know have. Many of them are not fans of the change. Apparently they aren’t alone. Although none of the people I know who don’t like it are complaining about it making them sick. Oops. Then again, maybe it’ll help cut down on texting and driving. Bright side folks, look on the bright side!
- Speaking of turning stomachs… How about a list of ‘Retro’ foods that are making a comeback. Including Rolaids! Which should help settle that stomach ache you’ve got from your iPhone. More than anything though, this article is proof. Twinkies are going to be around forever!
- We interrupt this list of things that could be considered ‘over the top’ for an idea we think is totally cool and not over the top, a gimmick, or silly. It needs to happen. As one of the classiest (and best) players major league baseball has ever seen is wrapping up the final few games of his career – Mariano Rivera wants to play center field for the Yankees. And the Yankees just might let him. This needs to happen. It would be really cool. Just like the send off he got at Yankee Stadium in his final game there.
- And now back to things that might be a bit over the top. Except, there is no ‘might’ involved in this one. This is not ‘over the top’, this is textbook ‘OverKILL’. What am I talking about? I’m talking about a US Air Force test program to deal with pirates. By bombing them out of the water using supersonic B-1 bombers. Yep. Overkill. But definitely a kill, I’d say. And I can help but think the pilots would be playing this.
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m out of here. Busy night tonight that includes going to benefits with beer. Or was it beer with benefits? Ah well, I’ll get it sorted out when I get there. Not to worry, it’s not excessive… it’s just overkill.
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Air Force, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, iPhone, MLB, Pirates, Silly, stupid, Tech, Yankees
Howdy folks, and welcome to this week’s edition of Five thoughts. As you may have guessed, Beer’s getting ready for another Boondoggle. But I’m here for now, if my brain is already sending postcards from the road. I’ve been trying to get it to call in so we can get this post done, let’s see how it works out. And with that, here we go!
- If you’ve been following the blog for any amount of time, you’ve probably noticed that I used to be a big NHL until the last labor stoppage. At that point in their latest attempt at “cost certainty” they lost me. And then comes news that having ‘fixed’ the game.. That the NHL is preparing to take control of the New Jersey Devils (One of the leagues more high profile franchises) to prevent them from going into bankruptcy. Of course, this morning there’s a story in the Wall Street Journal with the league denying any possible takeover. So… they’re okay with the Devils filing for bankruptcy then? Like my co-blogger said yesterday… Queue the circus music!
- It seems like every year around this time, I’m getting ready for a boondoggle. And every year, this is when Shark Week is on. This is not necessarily a great fit. But hey, at least they don’t have an “Airliner Crash” week to show right before I have to get on a plane. That being said, what’s a Five Thoughts during Shark Week that doesn’t include a post about…. sharks! And if the ‘normal’ ones you see on TV aren’t enough to give you nightmares, check out these deep sea numbers, including one with over 300 teeth! If um… anyone needs me, I’ll be in the pool!
- Speaking of nasty, scary looking fish. How about an invasive species that can breathe air and survive out of water for extended periods? And has no natural predators in North America? So much so that a world record specimen has just been caught in Virginia? Yeah, that would be the aptly named ‘Frankenfish’. Did we mention it’s ugly? Yeah, no charge for the nightmares to come.
- I don’t think I have a tag for this sort of thing, but I could just go with a riff on the Ron Burgundy “Stay Classy” theme with a “You stay Classy, Kenya”. What am I taking about? Well, let’s go with the first line from the article…..
Officials in Kenya investigating the massive airport fire that gutted the arrival hall at Nairobi’s main airport said Thursday that first responders looted electronics, a bank and an ATM during and after the blaze. Maybe they just wanted to make sure the money didn’t burn up?
- Lastly, why going to circle around (just like a shark!) to Shark Week. Why? Well, there’s been some ‘controversy’ about it this year, especially their “special” (Possibly more aptly described as a “Mockumentary”) about Megalodon. It seems some people aren’t happy at all to have a sci-fi piece on Discovery. I have to say though… that’s not the big issue I have this year. And I hate to say it, but I think Shark Week has “Jumped the Shark“. Why? Well… it wasn’t the fake show, or the comedians, or anything like that. It was… The Hoff.
Okay folks, That’s five and I’m about ready to Boondoggle on down the road. PB will be in next week, and I’ll let him and the King sort out the Friday after that. Yes, this one is a BIG Boondoggle.
And as a bit of a bonus on the way out… If you’re still wondering about the origins of “Jumping the Shark”? Well, here you go!
Alrighty, I’m out of here. I have to get ready to boondoggle. And so, to help with preparations.. I give you the vocal stylings of the legendary… Don Ho with… Tiny Bubbles!
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Beer's Boondoggles, Commentary, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, NHL, Random, scary, Shark Week, Sharks, stupid