Happy Freakin’ Friday everyone! Wow, now there’s a phrase that can be taken several ways, can’t it. Well, I’ll let everyone ponder that for a bit as we blast through this week’s post. Should be a mixed bag this week, with a mix of silly, fun, and… stuff! So, let’s get going, shall we?
- I’m a huge coffee guy. I drink a *lot* of coffee. And I’ll be honest, at any given moment the coffee I’m drinking is probably pretty far from being “high quality”. That being said, I do enjoy what is generally known as good coffee. However, you gotta draw the line somewhere. And when I read articles like this, all I can think of is – “This started as a joke or something right?” I mean, I don’t think I’ve ever been needing a cup of coffee so badly I decided that beans that had been pooped out by an animal would work to make a cup of coffee! And yet now… It’s the most expensive coffee in the world!
And of course, I can’t mention fancy coffee without bringing up this:
- Every now and then, you just read one of those stories that you know had several other working titles in the office before the ‘official’ one was settled on. And I know that probably happened with this one. I could see it being called something along the lines of “Movie nerds pee themselves”. Now, what could possibly prompt that? How about being in the theater as “Man of Steel” launches (And where Superman fights General Zod) only to find yourself in the restroom with the original (movie) General Zod himself, Terrance Stamp. Not familiar with the character? Here you go.
- Changing gears a bit, we head to the intersection of (sad) current events and pro sports. I can’t blame the guy for not being amused. It seems ESPN got a little mixed up during coverage of the murder case involving Aaron Hernandez. And referred to the suspect as… Aaron Rodgers. Murder suspect, MVP…. Hey, both start with an ‘M’ right? Sheesh! I gotta side with Mr. Rodgers on this one. Not Funny ESPN.
- So, now that we’ve established ‘not funny’ I think it’s time we move toward something that is funny. Seems only fair. We’ve shown some fun posts of people kayak fishing before. Usually it involves large sharks and such, but we’ve never shown a kayak fisherman being attacked before. Until now. And the attacking species? Great White? Nope. Tiger shark? Negative. Mako? Not even close. It was that menace of the sea known as…. the cuttlefish.
- And to close it out, a note about a family
sticking together. Or maybe not so much, maybe the son didn’t like his cut? Because after recognizing a bank robbery suspect on the television, he called the police. And let them know it was his own mother! Hmmm, maybe he didn’t get the gaming console he wanted for Christmas or something.
And a side note… the story said she demanded $2500 and got $1092. What, did the bank take out taxes on the withdrawal or something?
Okay folks, that’s five for this freakin’ Friday. I’m knocking off early today to look into spending money I don’t have. So in the meantime, why don’t you join me in freaking out. (See, you knew I’d explain it at some point. Right?)
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Coffee, ESPN, Features, Fishing, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Movies, Silly, Superman, Television
Howdy folks! If we’re posting this, it must be Friday! It’s been a relatively quiet week for us here, but I haven’t heard anyone complaining. So, where do we go from here? Well, let’s get started and find out, shall we?
- I’ve said before that often times I know something is gonna make one of these posts as soon as I see it. I’ve also said before that sometimes the posts just write themselves. And then there are times like this, where you just know a story about two women trying stuff $60,000 in cash into their bras and cross the border needs to be a Five Thoughts item, but there’s just no way to improve upon the basic description. So there you go.
- Okay, given the misadventures of some of my co-bloggers, and our general sophomoric senses of humor in general, there was no way a list of 14 Places you have to poop before you die was going to not make the list as soon as we found out about it. I’ll have to leave it to the others to comment on the quality of said list, however.
- I’m sorry.. kind of. I know this is a serious subject, and that there are lives in the balance. It’s just that this seems like something I would have seen in a Looney Tunes cartoon while I was growing up. Not something played out in a court of law in real life! It appears that there is an inmate in Death Row trying to get his reprieve overturned. He doesn’t want it. And as I was reading the article all I can think of is….
- Sometimes, life imitates art. Other times, apparently it imitates an old Saturday Night Live skit. As in the case of a Chicago Blackhawks fan who suffered a heart attack while watching one of the games of this years Stanley Cup final matchup.
- Lastly, I’m a bit bummed that the scheduling didn’t workout better. Last weekend, the latest Superman movie franchise re-boot came out. I haven’t seen it. I’m not sure I even will. But it has me bummed. If it would have come out one weekend later, it would have coincided with the largest full moon of the year. The “Supermoon”. And then we could have played the whole “it’s a bird, it’s a plane… It’s Supermoon?” routine. You know, “Superman, Supermoon”. Somehow, I don’t think it would work any better than David Letterman’s “Uma / Oprah” bit though.
Okay, that’s five and I’m ready to call it a week. How do I know it’s time to go? Because, I use the formatting to tell me how many things I’ve posted on. Yep, it knows how to add it up. Hmmm… Add it Up. You know, I’ve been taking flak from some people about my song choices, lately so that gives me an idea. No, I’m not going with that one, but I think it’s about time the Violent Femmes make an appearance here. In the meantime, until next week I’m “Gone Daddy Gone“.
Have a great weekend folks!
Howdy folks, and welcome to yet another Friday morning (whatever time it may be as you read this). Let’s jump right in, shall we?
- Had one of those mornings where life is giving you all kinds of hints you should just stay home. So as I’m more or less cursing myself as I’m getting in the car to head to the office. Start the car, and the radio starts. What’s on? That 60’s classic… “It’s a Beautiful Morning” by the Rascals. If not for coffee – my car probably wouldn’t have a radio right now.
- Diving into current events a little here…. I know this is a hot button issue and I’m not going to debate the pros or cons, right or wrong of anything. I just want to point out one small thing… The backers of a proposed Islamic center near ground zero are expressing regrets about creating a firestorm with a plan they thought would be simple and noncontroversial. To these folks I only really have one thing to say.. Whoever does your public relations? Fire them. Fire them right now. Fire them out of a cannon if you can. This whole thing had PR NIGHTMARE! DO NOT OPEN! written all over it.
- I like this story, plain and simple. A Carolina Beach restaurant has adopted a “No Screaming Children” policy. Yes, you can still bring children there, but if they are screaming and carrying on, you’ll be asked to take them outside to calm them down. If I’m ever in Carolina Beach NC, I’ll definitely make it a point to patronize this establishment. And yes, as a child I was hauled out of a restaurant/church/store when I was being disruptive. Been there, done that.
- Yeah, I can’t see Clint Eastwood playing Superman or 007 either. Apparently he was asked though, and turned them down. Granted, since he looks like he could still kick a lot of people’s rear ends… had he said “yes”, I’d probably agree with that decision too!
- Speaking of movie decisions I do not agree with. I disagree with the very thought of them remaking this one. I like Jeff Bridges as an actor very much. Jeff Bridges is no John Wayne. But he’s starring in the lead in a remake of True Grit anyways. This quote from Matt Damon (also in the remake) fills me with confidence, too. “I’ve never even seen the original John Wayne movie”. Oh good. Well, I probably won’t see this one, so we’ll be even then!
Ok folks. That’s five and I’m off on a coffee fueled bender for the rest of the afternoon. As I was wondering what to close with earlier this week, I was sorting through my typical early MTV/New Wave type of selection when it was mentioned out that I tend to ignore some genres. I would like to point out that while I do consider myself an equal opportunity offender – I just don’t follow some types of music as closely as others. Still… This one is a bit of a departure from the usual…
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Advice, Clint Eastwood, Commentary, Features, Five Thoughts, From the News, James Bond, Jeff Bridges, Lousy Morning, Matt Damon, Rant, Screaming Kids, Silly, Superman, True Grit