Howdy folks, and welcome to this week’s edition of Five Thoughts. Pretty quiet day around here today. PB is off doing his best Elmer Fudd impression, and a whole lot of other people are either now sleeping, or still glued to their couch/television with the release of the new Playstation 4. So while we have a few moments, let’s see what’s going on this week, shall we?
- It’s funny that we mention hunting in the opening today, because apparently the guys in the woods aren’t the only ones hunting.It would seem that hot on the heels of the Alligator at the Airport in Chicago, the Chicago police are now hunting for the person they believe brought said alligator to the airport. On the train. Yep, they have footage of it. Snakes on a plane, Gators on a train? Could be a sequel!
- Seems like this one would be right in the wheelhouse of all the video game playing folks that are home today blissfully shooting away at pixellated bad guys, racing cars, or flying planes. Or maybe not the flying part. After all, the Air Force is now searching for a drone that went down in Lake Ontario. Hmmm… wonder if they were hunting that mayor up in Toronto who’s been in the news so much lately? Apparently video game flying is harder than it looks!
- It’s a airbag! For your head! Or as they like to call it, an invisible bicycle helmet. Yeah, I really don’t have much else to add. Except I generally prefer to not wear a helmet, and NOT FALL OFF MY BIKE to begin with. Seems to have worked for me most of these years. Safety first though, I guess.
- I post this for all of my engineering friends. Many of whom are too busy with their new Playstation 4 this morning to spend too much time thinking about this right now, but when they get back from their sick day/vacation day/didn’t go in because they were picking up the next gen gaming console at midnight day off, this will help. And it’s even based on scientific studies. That’s right, for all of you who always have trouble, science has now issued you a guide. For how to properly pee into a urinal. Just in case you haven’t been able to figure it out on your own.
- We haven’t talked about cars very much in this space here lately. But we’re going to sort of talk about it now. And by sort of, I mean we’re going to talk about trucks. Big trucks. Big Volvo trucks. And we’re going to do it just so I have a reason to sneak in a mention of the new Volvo commercial that has Jean-Claude Van Damme in it. Doing the splits. Between two moving trucks. Is it just me, or does it hurt to even watch that?
Okay folks, that’s five and that means it’s time for me to split! (Ba-dum-bump!) In the meantime, Here’s hoping everyone out in the woods stays safe, stays warm, and finds happiness.
Have a great weekend folks!
Happy Friday everyone!
Why’s Beer in such a good mood this week? Is he planning another boondoggle or something? No, no. Well, I am, but it isn’t for a while. No, I’m happy because I might actually get a chance to sleep tomorrow! But, enough about that. It’s been a crazy week, and I there a few things I’ve been thinking about (It being Friday and all). So with that, it’s time for this week’s Five Thoughts.
- Let’s start with some news from the “You’re night real bright, are you?” department. We’ve all heard the phrase “Young and dumb”. The latest example of taking it a bit too far? A 26 year old in Pennsylvania finds himself now charged with a felony. For barking at a police dog at a DUI checkpoint. I do believe this is where we bring in our hero Red….
- Switching gears to the technology front. I’m currently able to do a side by side comparison of the new Apple operating system upgrade and the old version. Being the Luddite that I am, I have not yet upgrade while people I know have. Many of them are not fans of the change. Apparently they aren’t alone. Although none of the people I know who don’t like it are complaining about it making them sick. Oops. Then again, maybe it’ll help cut down on texting and driving. Bright side folks, look on the bright side!
- Speaking of turning stomachs… How about a list of ‘Retro’ foods that are making a comeback. Including Rolaids! Which should help settle that stomach ache you’ve got from your iPhone. More than anything though, this article is proof. Twinkies are going to be around forever!
- We interrupt this list of things that could be considered ‘over the top’ for an idea we think is totally cool and not over the top, a gimmick, or silly. It needs to happen. As one of the classiest (and best) players major league baseball has ever seen is wrapping up the final few games of his career – Mariano Rivera wants to play center field for the Yankees. And the Yankees just might let him. This needs to happen. It would be really cool. Just like the send off he got at Yankee Stadium in his final game there.
- And now back to things that might be a bit over the top. Except, there is no ‘might’ involved in this one. This is not ‘over the top’, this is textbook ‘OverKILL’. What am I talking about? I’m talking about a US Air Force test program to deal with pirates. By bombing them out of the water using supersonic B-1 bombers. Yep. Overkill. But definitely a kill, I’d say. And I can help but think the pilots would be playing this.
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m out of here. Busy night tonight that includes going to benefits with beer. Or was it beer with benefits? Ah well, I’ll get it sorted out when I get there. Not to worry, it’s not excessive… it’s just overkill.
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Air Force, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, iPhone, MLB, Pirates, Silly, stupid, Tech, Yankees
Good morning everyone, and welcome to another coffee fueled edition of Five Thoughts. The good news is, I have internet access today, so I don’t need to call in an emergency reliever (Big thanks to PB for subbing last week!). The bad news? Hehe… I have internet access this week and get to write today’s post! Let’s see where we land, shall we?
- I saw this one, and I knew I’d have to use it. This really does fall into the heading of, “If you use this for your PIN… you probably DESERVE to what you get”… Ladies and gentleman, the 10 Worst PIN numbers. (And why to we say PIN number? That’s what the N is for! If anything it should be PI Number!) And of course, I couldn’t read that article without think of this scene from Spaceballs!
- Next up as anyone who reads the blog knows, I like to post articles abut drones. And here comes another one. Except, this time they aren’t spying on you or shooting at anyone. They’re spying on Hurricanes. I think it’s cool, so I’m posting about it. Although now I have this mental image of a kid at a NASA drone pilots house running around going “Mom, where do hurricanes come from?” Yeah, I’m weird sometimes.
- Moving along, we have a public service announcement………
EVERYBODY PANIC! WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE! THEY FOUND A GIANT HOLE IN THE SUN! Okay, you don’t have to panic. But we are all gonna die, eventually, that’s how life works. And they did find a giant hole in the sun. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming, already in progress.
- As for this one… I’ve often wondered about it myself, but frankly I don’t think there really is any explanation. Even though they try to offer several theories. I think much like the Bermuda triangle, we just have to expect that when weird stuff happens, odds are it’s happening in Florida.
- Lastly, but certainly not least. A little something for you to ponder this weekend as you’re having a few cocktails. Because, what’s a weekend without a few drinks, right? That syrupy, sugary thing you’re calling a Daiquiri? You’re doing it wrong. Here’s what it used to be (And is supposed to be).
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m cutting out of here to start the weekend. We’ve got a car show, a concert, and even a fireworks display on tap for the weekend! Speaking of taps… yes. There will be beer involved. Hey, if you’re gonna go, go all the way. Right? (How’s THAT for a blast from the past?)
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Alcohol, Beer, Blog, Drinks, Features, Five Thoughts, Florida, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Random, Silly, Tech
Howdy folks, and welcome to this week’s edition of Five Thoughts. A big thanks to PB for filling in for me last week – I was just getting back into town and to say I would have been unprepared to write the post would be an understatement. So, we we’re into December now, and the snow if flying on the blog… time to see what’s on tap for this week. But first, it should be pointed out that today is December 7th. The 71st anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. I know it’s been so long since it happened that to most people it’s only a note in the history books. As someone who’s had the chance to visit Pearl Harbor and see the memorial, I can honestly say it’s something everyone who gets a chance should do. You don’t realize the scale involved until you do. And it’s eerie out there on the memorial itself. Now, on to the post!
- Let’s start with a bit of a public service announcement. If you’re thought of as knowing about computers in way shape or form – you probably remember getting a phone call a few years back that went something like this “I got this message that popped up and said I had a virus – so I hit the button that said scan and now my computer won’t work and it says I need to buy something”. Well, a variation on that theme is back. So you may want to pre-emptively start calling your family and telling them not to fall for the scam that tells them their operating system is locked and that they owe a $100 fine.
- When it came out, “Dude, Where’s My Car?” was a silly, kind of funny movie – in the sense that it was so over the top you couldn’t help but laugh at it. Now, a homeowner on the Jersey Shore is playing “Dude, Where’s my HOUSE?”. It appears it’s gone missing after Hurricane Sandy.
- Now, I know I’ve mentioned it before…. But sometimes the posts really do just write themselves. And when you see a headline that says Elephant dung coffee goes for $50 a pop you know you’ve found one. I just wonder though – am I the only one who wonders about the use of the word ‘pop’ in a headline basically dealing with poop? And did the accompanying picture in that article *really* need to be on the front page og the online edition this morning?
- Wow, we’ve really covered a lot of ground here in this post. Let’s keep rolling right along. Now, it’s no secret that we’ve been just ever so slightly critical of a lot of the
crap garbage regurgitated dog food movies that Hollywood has been putting out lately. And it appears that we aren’t the only ones who thing the best entertainment options may be felt elsewhere these days. According to the Washington Post earlier this week, the video game “Call of Duty” has topped one billion dollars faster than the movie Avatar did it. Now, to be fair – the average ticket price for Avatar wasn’t in the $60 price range so I’m not certain it’s a fair comparison. But hey, I needed a post item and this not only gave me the opportunity to take a shot at Hollywood (Get it? Call of Duty, Take a shot?), but it also lets me throw this one in for fun…
- And speaking of fun and it being December and all, we’re waiting for the snow to fall. And to help pass the time until it does – here’s something to keep you occupied. Buddy’s snowball fight! Just don’t hit the big guy!
Okay folks, that’s five and we’re out for the weekend. While I have no problem being on the radio now that we’re officially into ‘holiday season’ I’m not quite ready to start subjecting people to Christmas songs just yet. Fair warning though, we’re ‘almost there’. However, we can inch a bit closer to that with this one. It’s not about Christmas, but it is about snow! (Hey Oh).
Have a great weekend folks!
Good morning everyone. Silly title today, no? What’s it about? Well, turns out yesterday was Groundhog Day and the little sucker allegedly saw his shadow. I say allegedly because when the report came out, it was still dark where I was so he couldn’t have seen anything. And I’m in the same time zone. So, assuming they’re telling the truth, it means we’re in for six more weeks of the winter that wasn’t (Or at least hasn’t been, up until now). And now, on with today’s post.
- I really, really considered posting an “I got you babe” video yesterday. I even had one picked out that had footage from the movie Groundhog Day. But after the video that went up on Wednesday night, I just couldn’t be that cruel.
- There’s a joke in here somewhere. There’s probably several. And not just the obvious “If you’ve ever been too drunk to” joke about “Being too drunk to drive a Zamboni“. I’m just not sure exactly what to make of this story, so I’ll just leave it at that. The picture of the Zamboni in the article is funny enough to warrant a look on it’s own though. Really guys, a plug on the front of the Zamboni?
- The Rise of the Toilet Texter. This is not me. I don’t ever want this to be me. Seriously, if I’m “taking care of business” so to speak – I DO NOT WANT TO BE USING MY PHONE WHILE DOING IT. What in the hell is wrong with these people? And for the love of God people, I don’t want to be talking to you while YOU are taking a dump either.
- There’s a big football game this weekend. And I always get a kick out of all the advertisements that talk about getting a TV, or chips, or beer, or food, et cetera for the “Big Game” because they aren’t licensed to use the “League copyrighted name” and don’t want to get sued. However, since we’re a non-commercial venture I’m pretty sure we can get away with talking about the Super Bowl. And for the record, I know it’s hard to pick against the Pats, but I like the Giants in this one.
- Just in time for the Super Bowl, there’s an article out from Consumer Reports about Coors Outscoring Bud. Now, I don’t want to go all beer-snob on the article but I loved the line “None of these beers has enough complexity and balance to be excellent, but Coors comes fairly close”. Now really, there are a few important rules about beer at a Superbowl Party but I’ll just hit the most important one. If it’s free, stop complaining and say thank you. Or haul your rear end back up to the store and buy something yourself.
Okay folks, that’s five I’m off to start tailgating for the Superbowl. And since it is Superbowl weekend, I know the Bears aren’t in it – but I couldn’t pass up a chance to use “The Superbowl Shuffle”.
Have a great weekend folks!
Howdy folks, and happy December to you all. Did you get enough to eat last weekend? Still eating leftovers? Did you survive shopping on black Friday if you went? Personally, I think I’m just now starting to come out of the food coma I put myself into. Anyhow, let’s get cracking and see what five things we can think up and mock today, shall we?
- It’s now December 2011. That means we’re now less than a month from 2012. You know, the year the Mayans got to when they were making their calendar and stopped. Prompting theories that 2012 will prove to be the end of the world. And now, we have undeniable proof that may well be the case.
Remember the band Hanson from the 90’s? They sang that MmmmBop song? Well, now they’re coming out with an “MmmHop” Beer. Yeah, if that isn’t a sign of the apocalypse I don’t know what is.
- Staying on drinks here for a bit, now that we’re heading into the holidays it’s time to start planning this year’s egg nog hunt. No, I’m not talking about that stuff from the supermarket. No, I’m not going to make my own. I go out and hunt down some from a local dairy. It’s the type that’s so damned thick it defies any attempt to mix in a nice dark rum or bourbon into it. Unless you do it right. THAT’S the kind of egg nog I’m going hunting for.
- This one is a bit of a buzzkill. It’s not holiday related at all. It’s about how our smartphones are logging our data. All of it. Without an opt-out function. Bah, Humbug indeed. Not cool folks, not cool.
- Back into a more jolly mode for this one. In an effort to become a more helpful blog, we’ve decided pass along a link to guide for ‘Gifting the gamer in your life‘ from CNN. It’s far from the only list out there, but there are some decent suggestions to be had if you need help finding a game for someone.
- And once you’re done with all that shopping (Hopefully well before December 23rd or 24th), it’s time to kick back and relax. One of my favorite choices is, of course, beer! So with that in mind, Imbibe has a listing of their “Best Holiday Beers“. Be warned though, as some of the beers on that list have a kick of their own, with some hitting 14% alcohol by volume. Ho Ho Ho!
Okay folks, that’s Five and I’m ready to start the weekend. And on the way out, just because we like the song around here…. It’s a Marshmallow World!
Have a great weekend folks!
Happy Friday folks! Here we are again, right at the edge of another weekend. And what a wild week it’s been, too. What with the stock market, and preseason football, and… What? You actually expected me to make sense? Yeah, didn’t think so. Speaking of not making sense, let’s get started with this one…
- An online petition calling for the nuptials of Muppet flat-mates Bert and Ernie. Really? These are the things people worry about? Not the stock market, riots in London, or anything like that. But let’s be serious here for a moment. Ernie… Don’t do it!! I don’t know if you’re aware of it man, but your roommate, Bert? He’s Evil! You really don’t want to be marrying into that, do you?
- Not really a big deal, but since I always got a kick out of “Snakes on a Plane”, the first thing I thought of was “Tarantula on a train!“. Sadly, the real world event wasn’t quite the same. We’ve also recently seen “Snake on a car“, which – while funny – still lacked excitement. Maybe we could do something like “Ferrets on a Fishing boat” or “Birds on a Bus”? Nah, didn’t think so either.
- While we’re on the subject of transportation… There are some things you never want to be compared to in the automotive world. Like a “sorbet of mouse scat”. Yes, that’s an actual quote in an article describing the Nissan Murano Cross Cabriolet as the “Most Hated” vehicle of 2011. Personally, I’d put it on the list just for the name. Talk about pretentious. What, “Murano Convertible” isn’t good enough? Still, the quote from the article puts this story here. “Sorbet of mouse scat”? How do you even think a line like that up?
- Swinging to social media and technology. Google is obviously getting serious about going head to head with Facebook. how can we tell? It’s simple…. They’re adding games to Google+. You know once games are involved, things are getting serious. Gotta water the crops, or birds, or… something.
- See, now this is one of those instance where maybe, just maybe, there should have been some of that there “Inter agency cooperation” or whatever you want to call it. What am I going on about? Well, it seems the US government (DARPA specifically) has lost yet ANOTHER hi tech toy. This raises a few questions for me. Did they not talk to NASA, who have proven to be very adept at losing contact with unmanned flights? You’d think comparing notes might be in order. You know.. “No, no – that’s what we used and it, um, didn’t work” type of stuff. Also, I love this quote..”Initial indications are that the aircraft impacted the Pacific Ocean along the planned flight path.” Initial indications? The freaking thing was supposed to be travelling at almost 13,000 mph!! Anything moving that fast is going to leave one heck of an “Initial indication” upon impact! Couldn’t be that hard to figure out where it was.
Okay folks – that’s five and I’m rolling on out. Shaping up to be a busy, but fun weekend. So until next time, something a bit different…
Have a great weekend folks!