Yep, I’m finally back. Now to see if I can remember how to write one of these posts. And why is it I finally get back from a holiday, only to find myself staring down a holiday weekend? How does that happen, anyways? Anyhow, before I get started, a big thanks to PB for filling in ably for me while I was away (Although we need to work on getting him to add tags to posts). And now… Let’s see If I remember how to do this…
- Holy casting news, Batman! Yes, I realize it’s actually kind of old news by now, but really… I guess the part that most people are sort of overlooking is Ben Affleck isn’t going to be playing Batman in a Batman movie. It’s for the next Superman movie. And it’s been back in the news a bit since it’s been announced that it will be filming in Detroit. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say they’ll be using Detroit as a Gotham City backdrop. Not Metropolis.
- Speaking of movies, one of my favorites remains “The Princess Bride” which brought us many great lines, including “You keep using that word…”
I mention this because of a headline I saw today on Yahoo!. It was for an E! Online article and the headline read… “Kate Middleton to Make Surprise First Official Public Appearance Since Giving Birth to Prince George“. See, here’s the thing… if it’s being announced in the press? It isn’t a “Surprise”. Which made me think… I do not think it means what you think it means.
- On a completely different note… We’ve talked about Florida a bit in the past, and I’ve made no secret that I just don’t get why it seems to be such an odd place. And yet, here I am again talking about “The Sunshine State” in a weekly post. This time after reading an article about how they’re fighting a giant snail infestation by using… dogs. Labrador retrievers to be exact. Now, I think Labs are fantastic dogs. But I just don’t get it. I mean, the article has this quote, “They’re very good at detecting the Giant African Land Snail”. Yeah, I would think damned near anyone with a working set of eyes would pretty good at spotting a giant snail that can get to be the size of a rat! And they need a dog to help them? Florida, I just don’t get it.
- You know, there’s an awful lot going on in the world right now. Much of it being of the “very serious” nature. Of course, you wouldn’t really know it from the general news or social media, because even off on the big island of Hawaii and insulated by a six-hour time change, I couldn’t escape the news about Miley Cyrus. But it appears she may have really crossed the line this time. She’s now being taken to task for her act, and being called out for it being degrading…. To the foam finger she used by the originator of the foam finger! Yeah, I got nothing to add. Didn’t see it, don’t care. I was busy drinking on the beach. Or something.
- Lastly, simply put… I think this gentleman may be my hero. A British man is making money every time a telemarketer calls him. He changed his phone to the U.S. equivalent of a 900 toll line. So the longer the telemarketers are on the line, the more they have to pay him! As the guys in the Guinness ad say…. “Brilliant!”
Okay folks, that’s five and apparently I still know how to do this (allegedly). And with that, I’m off to enjoy a holiday weekend. So, even thought I’ve used it before… I think this one is fitting. After all, I just back from and no I’m planning on observing… a “Holiday”
Have a great weekend folks!
Happy Freakin’ Friday everyone! Wow, now there’s a phrase that can be taken several ways, can’t it. Well, I’ll let everyone ponder that for a bit as we blast through this week’s post. Should be a mixed bag this week, with a mix of silly, fun, and… stuff! So, let’s get going, shall we?
- I’m a huge coffee guy. I drink a *lot* of coffee. And I’ll be honest, at any given moment the coffee I’m drinking is probably pretty far from being “high quality”. That being said, I do enjoy what is generally known as good coffee. However, you gotta draw the line somewhere. And when I read articles like this, all I can think of is – “This started as a joke or something right?” I mean, I don’t think I’ve ever been needing a cup of coffee so badly I decided that beans that had been pooped out by an animal would work to make a cup of coffee! And yet now… It’s the most expensive coffee in the world!
And of course, I can’t mention fancy coffee without bringing up this:
- Every now and then, you just read one of those stories that you know had several other working titles in the office before the ‘official’ one was settled on. And I know that probably happened with this one. I could see it being called something along the lines of “Movie nerds pee themselves”. Now, what could possibly prompt that? How about being in the theater as “Man of Steel” launches (And where Superman fights General Zod) only to find yourself in the restroom with the original (movie) General Zod himself, Terrance Stamp. Not familiar with the character? Here you go.
- Changing gears a bit, we head to the intersection of (sad) current events and pro sports. I can’t blame the guy for not being amused. It seems ESPN got a little mixed up during coverage of the murder case involving Aaron Hernandez. And referred to the suspect as… Aaron Rodgers. Murder suspect, MVP…. Hey, both start with an ‘M’ right? Sheesh! I gotta side with Mr. Rodgers on this one. Not Funny ESPN.
- So, now that we’ve established ‘not funny’ I think it’s time we move toward something that is funny. Seems only fair. We’ve shown some fun posts of people kayak fishing before. Usually it involves large sharks and such, but we’ve never shown a kayak fisherman being attacked before. Until now. And the attacking species? Great White? Nope. Tiger shark? Negative. Mako? Not even close. It was that menace of the sea known as…. the cuttlefish.
- And to close it out, a note about a family
sticking together. Or maybe not so much, maybe the son didn’t like his cut? Because after recognizing a bank robbery suspect on the television, he called the police. And let them know it was his own mother! Hmmm, maybe he didn’t get the gaming console he wanted for Christmas or something.
And a side note… the story said she demanded $2500 and got $1092. What, did the bank take out taxes on the withdrawal or something?
Okay folks, that’s five for this freakin’ Friday. I’m knocking off early today to look into spending money I don’t have. So in the meantime, why don’t you join me in freaking out. (See, you knew I’d explain it at some point. Right?)
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Coffee, ESPN, Features, Fishing, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Movies, Silly, Superman, Television
Howdy folks, and welcome to another edition of Five Thoughts! I’m back again this week to guide you through another silly post. So, let’s get started rambling through another one of Beermaker’s rambling rants about what’s going on in the news of the weird (at least according to Beer’s Brain) this week.
- Let’s start with this one. I’m really trying to figure this one out. A woman in Chicago is fighting a $100,000 parking fine. It appears her ex-boyfriend abandoned a car at an airport parking lot, where it piled up the fines over three years. So… you didn’t notice the car was gone for three years? You didn’t report it stolen? One day three years on you suddenly remembered “Oh! I know where we left the car!”??? Or you just wanted to get rid of it, and dumping it an at airport parking lot seemed easier than calling one of those charities that will come get it from your house??? This is definitely one where there’s got to be more to this story.
- There are times during everyone’s life when they wonder if someone is even paying attention. Like when someone tries to merge into your lane on the expressway – right into the spot your vehicle is currently occupying. Or, you know… when it turns out that those toy poodles you bought after wanting them for so long… turn out to be ferrets on steroids. Yes, you read that right. Ferrets. On Steroids. Sounds like a bad B movie title (You know, like Snakes on a Plane). They didn’t look odd to you at all when you bought them, right?
- Speaking of not paying attention. When I read this article and watched the video I thought most of it was very cool. How else would you describe a close encounter with a huge shark while you’re on a kayak doing some fishing? But then there’s a the part in the video where he brings (what’s left of) the fish up towards and almost onto the kayak. And so I have to ask… were you not paying attention? Did you not see the size of the shark? Did you not notice that it likes that fish, and is roughly the same size as your kayak? I really don’t think you want it coming aboard.
- Changing gears… We’ve made no secret that we like old cars around here. And when something comes along that can combine some the vehicles we thought were cool growing up with the TV shows and movies we thought were cool? Even better. And when they’re from Hot Wheels, which means we don’t have to plan on hitting the lottery to afford them? Well, that gets mentioned here. Because This is cool. Hot Wheels Retro Entertainment series memorializes your favorite Hollywood cars. The link is worth a click just for the picture in the article.
- Lastly, despite all of my boondoggles I don’t really consider myself a worldly person. I certainly don’t consider myself a diplomat or a peacemaker. That being said..I think I finally have it figured out. I know why North Korea is always so cranky. Turns out, there’s a BEER SHORTAGE in North Korea. I was reading an article about a group that tried to set up a brewery in North Korea and this line caught my eye, “They can’t produce enough for the domestic market”. Don’t they know beer promotes love? And not just the beer-goggle type. I’m talking down to earth “I love you, man” statements.
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m out of here. And then I mean out of here. I mean “Look for a guest writer next week because I’m off on another boondoggle” gone. Yep, As a late winter storm draws a bead on our state I’m drawing a line in the sand. On a beach. Someplace warm. You know, down in that One Particular Harbor.
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Beer, Beer's Boondoggles, Cars, Commercials, Features, Fishing, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Sharks, Television, Vacation