Howdy folks, and welcome to another edition of Five Thoughts. before we get going, let’s touch on the title of today’s post. In other words… Happy Star Wars Day. Don’t get it? Here’s a clue… say the part of the title that’s in quotes. Still no? Okay, say it again then listen to this.
Okay, now that we have that out of the way (Hey, I’m just the messenger here folks) let’s see what we can cover today…
- We’ve got one heck of a mixed bag assembled this week. Wait… did I just say “Assemble”. You know, there’s a tiny little movie opening in the States this weekend after a big opening overseas. And it uses the word assemble. It also uses two of my co-blogger’s favorite words. In fact when paired together, I think it may well be his favorite two word combination. What are they? Hulk, and Smash. As in.. “Hulk? Smash.” Might need to go see this one.
- I’ll leave it for you to decide. Cool, creepy, ego-maniacal, or just someone having some fun because they can. And which picture is more disturbing, the ice in the glass, or the stretched out photo on the side with the person holding the ice cube in the tongs? Yes, we’re talking about ice cubes. Made to look like Sir Richard Branson.
- So, imagine you’re walking along the beach. Just sort making note of all the stuff that you’re finding washed up. All the normal stuff, you know… Seashell, dead fish, oh, there’s a tiny little crab running around, rocks, seaweed, Harley Davidson, wait…. what was that last one? That’s right. Harley Davidson. Washed clear across the Pacific ocean from Japan. The things our planet can do at times.
- Staying on/in the water for a moment… If you’ve ever needed a bigger boat.. This is probably not the auction for you. The U.S. Navy is auctioning off it’s stealth ship. Now, before you start making plans to import large amounts of Cuban rum and cigars into the Florida Keys…. The ship will be disassembled. Boo. Well, maybe the market for the scrap metal will be more than the winning bid.
- And for our fifth item today, let’s talk about something for Cinqo de Mayo. I’d like to make a small suggestion on this busy, busy day. You see, it’s not only Cinqo de Mayo (aka any excuse to throw a party, right?). It’s also the 1st Saturday of may. Which means two things. It’s National Homebrew Day. That’s right. A day dedicate to making your own beer. Pretty spiffy if you ask me. The other event? The Kentucky Derby. The most famous horse race in the world. So, my suggestion? In the middle of all the revelry for Cinqo de Mayo and Big brew… take a few moments out around post time for the Derby (6:24pm EDT) and have yourself an All-American drink on Cinqo de Mayo. Have a Mint Julep. Then go right back to your beer, tequila, and tacos. Have fun, but be safe!
Okay folks, that’s Five on the fourth and I am done for the week. So let’s head out into what should be a pretty good party weekend with something a bit more contemporary than what we’ve been using lately. And since it is Star Wars Day, I thought this would fit absolutely perfectly.
Have a great weekend folks! May the Fourth be with you!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Beer, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Holiday, Homebrew, Mint Julep, Movies, Star Wars, Tequila
Howdy folks, and welcome back to another edition of Five Thoughts. Been a busy, wacky week here. Glad to see it coming to a close. So with that being said, let’s see what wacky things we can talk about.
- Jumping right in with news that strikes a bit close to home, proof that suicide bomber/terrorists are not real bright sometimes…
Well, the headline sort of says it all, but not quite:
For al-Qaida, Detroit was just the cheapest flight. That’s right, it was just the cheapest ticket they could find. Hey, guess times are tough all over. But wait! There’s More! Included in that gem of a story…
He paid CASH!! FOR A ROUND TRIP TICKET!! Ok, I get the round trip part. One way might tip someone off, but the paying cash? Seriously, if you’re planning on offing yourself why are you really worried about the price? Or stiffing the credit card company on the bill? What, he was worried about what it might do to his credit score?
- There’s upset with with folks at the drive through, and then there’s shooting an air gun into the drive through, and at the police who show up because you shot up the drive through, upset. Over what, you might ask? A price increase on a Taco Bell burrito. First off, it only went up to $1.49 (from $0.99) so it wasn’t going to break the bank. Second of all, you are in SAN ANTONIO TEXAS!!! I’ve been to SA multiple times, I can think of at least a dozen better places to get a burrito. The fact that someone in San Antonio chooses Taco Bell for their Tex Mex fix says all you need to know about their mental state, or lack thereof. I’d have felt better if the story at least mentioned alcohol being involved.
- Speaking of drinking…..
Sammy Hagar says abducted by aliens
Yes, you read that correctly. Sammy said in his new book that he thinks he’s been abducted by Aliens. So I have to wonder…
Maybe Sammy has been sampling a bit too much of his tequila maybe? Remember that quote from Scarface kids, “Don’t get high on your own supply”.
- This one worries me, but it’s wacky in a cool (pun intended) technology kind of way. A solar power, remote control, flying shade provider for the World Cup in Qatar. I can see some sort of failure causing it to fall into the stadium. I’m being honest here, I know Qatar has a lot of money, but do they have acceptable safety standards for something like that? It’s just hovering there. If it falls… That’s Bad.
- And finally… wacky in a scary, “holy crap how the heck is that even possible?” type of way from the Tsunami in Japan. It appears, it a was porpoise, not a dolphin but still. They found it in a rice field in Japan! Alive. Thankfully, they got the little critter back into the sea.
Ok, that’s five and I’m ready to call it a week already. Maybe I’ll have the King do the post next week. Just for fun.
And now… to get something stuck in your head for the rest of the day…. They call him Flipper!
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Aliens, Commentary, Detroit, Features, Five Thoughts, From the News, Japan, Silly, Taco Bell, Tequila, Travel, Tsunami, Wacky, Weird, World Cup