Hiya folks. After a long, long week we arrive at… another Friday! And that means it’s time to crank out another edition of Five Thoughts. That’s always a good way to pass some time. Let’s get right at it, shall we?
- The sports headlines of the day are being dominated by the NFL labor talks right now. We’re skipping that and flashing back to an NHL game last Saturday night (2/26/2011). Why? Well, we haven’t talked hockey in a while, and this shootout ended on a shot reminiscent of one of my favorite commercials. Check it out… Off the stick, off the crossbar, off the goalies back (?!?!?), and into the net.
- Last week I talked about the last fight of the US space shuttle program. Turns out I was one off (I know, I know, I hear that about me a lot!). There’s one more flight/mission. Discovery is done though. Why I am I bringing it up anyways? Because if they aren’t going to use shuttles anymore, NASA is gonna need to get better at launching rockets again. The latest one ended up in the Pacific Ocean. Call it a hunch, but I don’t think that’s where they were aiming.
- This quote really says it all:
“We haven’t been seeing a lot of Ronald McDonald,” said Tim Calkins, a marketing professor at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. “They’re beginning to appeal to much more sophisticated individuals.”
Seriously man. You just used “sophisticated individuals” in a sentence talking about McDonald’s? Seriously?
- We’ve seen cars recalled for any number of things before. Ignition cylinders, suspension components, wiring, etc.. By definition a recall will fall into safety or emissions related fields to qualify, anything else is just a voluntary callback by the manufacturer. Why do I mention this? Because Mazda may have just qualified for one of the creepiest recalls yet. Spiders. Spiders in your car. Kinda like Snakes on a Plane, when you think about it.
- How can you not love an article running with the headline “Revenge of the low-flow toilets“? It would seem that San Fransisco is dealing with a little thing called “The Law of Unintended Consequences“. Or in this case… a really bad stench! But hey, any excuse to introduce toilet humor into a post, right?
Ok, that’s five (very random!) thoughts. Who else is ready to start the weekend? Let’s get to it then. On our way out, something a bit out of line with the stuff we usually try to close with. See what happens when Beermaker gets to play with the scan button on the radio?
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Blog, Buffalo Sabres, Cars, Commentary, Commercials, Five Thoughts, McDonald's, NASA, NFL, NHL, postaweek2011, Red Wings, San Francisco, Silly, Snakes on a Plane, Spiders, Toilet Power
Howdy folks. Here we are on yet another Friday. Looking at the calender I notice that this is my last opportunity to post a Christmas in July edition. Don’t worry though, I think I’m going to pass on that chance this year. Still, it’s been a busy week with a lot of funny things to choose from if you operate with the type of addled brain I do. So, let’s get this one going for the week and see where we land…..
- Nascar team owner Jack Roush walked away from a plane crash in Wisconsin this week. It’s his second plane crash in the past 8 years. Um… Mr. Roush? You appear to be very good at quite a few things, I hate to be the one to point it out, but flying planes (or specifically, landing them) doesn’t seem to be one of them. Surviving one plane crash is luck. A second crash? That’s a hint. Leave the piloting to someone else.
- The biggest oil leak you’ve probably not even heard about is causing concerns that the oil make head into lake Michigan. Hey, isn’t that where those Asian carp are headed for too? What happens if the carp and oil meet up? Do we get a Godzilla like carp monster? Maybe Lake Michigan is the place to be this fall, but I don’t think that’s the type of tourism campaign Michigan wants to run.
- I really, REALLY have to put this in the “This is news?” category. Yes, i understand Apple has taken a position of not wanting to offer adult oriented applications for it’s iPhone in it’s store. That’s all fine and good, and their choice. But really, did anyone not see this coming? If they didn’t, they obviously haven’t been on the internet in the last oh, 10-15 years. This is a surprise? Porn on a internet enabled phone? I’m shocked! Shocked I say! (No, I’m really not.)
- I guess if your team is hovering around .500, you look for anything you can to light a fire under them and get them motivated. Some thing like Oh, I don’t know, complaining about the shoes the other team’s pitcher is wearing.
- Every once in a while, you stumble across a topic that you don’t even have to add anything to. As soon as you see a headline that says “Power your building with a flush” you know that you’ve stumbled upon a ready made entry for that week’s list. I love the easy ones. Say it with me folks… Toilet Power!
Wow, we were really all over the map with this one today, weren’t we? I could play it up as needing a vacation (I do, but I always think I do) as a reason for closing with the video picked out for this week, but it isn’t. Turns out my co-blogger will be on vacation before I get a chance to go, but that isn’t the reason either. No, today’s reason for this particular video?
I heard on the radio on the drive in and thought it was kind of catchy. Pretty deep reasoning, huh?
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Advice, Asian Carp, Features, Five Thoughts, From the News, iPhone, MLB, Oil Spill, Porn, Tech, Toilet Power