Happy Friday everyone, and since this is my last post before it hits, Merry Christmas!
We’ve pretty much hit the “I’ve had this cold long enough, eaten enough Christmas cookies, and heard as many carols as I possibly could” point where it’s about time to just pull the plug on the year and wind down. But before we do – let’s see what’s on tap this week!
- Sometimes, you just need a sandwich. I get that. And one of my co-bloggers has had some fun in the past talking about sandwiches. But still, I don’t care how good the sandwich is, a pilot holding an international flight hostage and refusing to take off until his sandwich arrives is taking things a bit far. I wonder if they told the passengers the truth, or blamed it on “maintenance”.
- As we hit the end of the year, it’s inevitable that we get inundated with lists of things from the past year. people we lost, funniest moments, and on and on and on… But this is one that I found interesting given my fondness for automotive news items. It’s a list of vehicles that automakers killed off this year. But then again, after reading it I’m not sure if anyone is going to notice these vehicles aren’t being made anymore.
- Switching to local issues, in this day and age sometimes a city council has to make the tough decisions. You know, like whether to allow American alligators in the city’s business district. Specifically, an alligator named Wally that will welcome patrons to a cajun restaurant that should be opening soon. And that’s just what Port Huron, Michigan did this past week. Other American gators were unavailable for comment regarding whether they planned to move north and take up residence in Port Huron.
- Speaking of city councils, let’s turn our attention a bit north… to the fine city of Toronto. Because I have to ask folks…. if you know your mayor is Rob Ford you know what you’re dealing with. Right? So I have to ask… who decided on the dance part during the council meeting that resulted in this?
- I’m going to use item five to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. It’s been a wild ride this past year. And whether you celebrate Christmas or not I hope the rest of the year is good to you (And next year too). In keeping with the title of today’s post, I think we’re going to take a bit of a Christmas Vacation and take next week off. We’ll be back after the first of the year. Unless one of the other guys wants to post something next week.
So, that’s wraps it up for this week, and probably for this year. Merry Christmas everyone, and Happy New Year! Time to start the Christmas Vacation.
Have a great one folks!
Happy Friday everyone, and welcome to this week’s edition of Five Thoughts. A big thanks to the King for this week’s title. Boy it’s been a week around here, and as a result the title sure does fit. It’s almost like there’s something in the water (Which is why I prefer beer). That being said, let’s get to it!
- We’ll start with the one that prompted the King to come up with the “What the Friday?” theme. I think it’s a fairly well established fact that I’ve had my fair share of boondoggles. But what do you do when you can’t afford, or don’t have the time for a boondoggle? Why, you send your stuffed animals on a boondoggle for you! Or at least, that’s what one company is hoping you will do. And for a price, they’ll chaperone your stuffed friends around the globe.
- I’m sure you’ve probably seen the news, at some point recently about how the NSA has been monitoring communications. (The whole Edward Snowden thing and resulting stories). I’m not here to take sides, I’m not here to point fingers. I’m here to tell you that when you’re talking on the phone, sometimes it isn’t the wiretap you need to be worried about in regards to someone listening in. Or um… live tweeting updates about your conversation. Oops.
- This one is for our friend Red. After all, I’ve been in the ocean many many times. I know there is an inherent risk. Surfers probably know that even more acutely. But given the number of bad shark attacks in the Hawaiian Islands this year… if you’re on a surfboard and you literally see a shark fin in your general area, isn’t it time to be on the beach? Yes, the shark ‘attacked’ a surfer. And by that I mean bit the board. The surfer ended up off the board on basically on top of the shark. After punching it, the shark retreated. I’m glad no one was really injured. But for staying in the water when you knew for a fact there was a large shark on the prowl in the area? Well, Red?
- Hey Red? Don’t go anywhere just yet. Or at least, maybe head over to Austria. They’re going to need you over there. From the news comes a story out of Vienna of a woman trading a live tank shell. I repeat, a live tank shell online. For a picture frame and two bottles of wine. After having used the shell for a doorstop. Take it away Red.
- Lastly… Sir Paul McCartney is damned cool. Aside from the being a Beatle, doing spontaneous free concerts, and all that good stuff. You know how else you can tell? Look at the people he can get to be in his latest music video. Yeah, and he can still sort of play a bit, too.
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m off to fight my way through what’s left of the day. And yes, I’m gonna warn you right now. because after all, with calling this the “What the Friday” edition…. there’s was really only one “What” themed song to use, especially since it sort of fits…
Have a great weekend folks!
Good morning everyone, and welcome to another hot, sweltering day here at Beerbarrel Productions. Yep, it’s hot. Looking at the map, it’s pretty much hot everywhere right now, but don’t worry! Relief is on the way! How can I be so sure? It’s simple really. There are only about 158 days until Christmas. Hey, I never said it was gonna cool down anytime soon, just that it would! And with that out of the way, let’s see what we can find for today, shall we?
- You know, when it gets hot and humid like it’s been around here, the bugs love it. Mosquitoes, june bugs, you name it. They all seem to be out in force right now. And when you have lots of bugs around, sometimes you need to take some more extreme measures to combat them. Using enough “bug bombs” to partially collapse a building though? I think you took the “bomb” part of the name a little too literally there…
- Speaking of buildings getting knocked down…. I guess nobody double checked the address, since a contractor in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area was hired to demolish a condemned home. Only to knock down the wrong house. That there is a big old “Texas-sized” whoops!
- This is the part of the post where I include something just because I think it’s cool. I went to a school that had a very prominent fencing program (Or so I’m told). Even then, I never paid much attention to it. I think it’s cool, I just don’t really ever think to myself “Hey, I should watch fencing”. Apparently I’m not alone in that. Enter a really fun, cool idea to try to get people to watch. A marketing campaign comparing it to sword fights in the movies.
As the guys from the Guinness ads would say… Brilliant!
- Switching gears into some at least marginally automotive related news, it seems like I can’t let a week go by these days without posting something about people being fired up about privacy. Like this article, that details how law enforcement agencies are tracking the movements of your license plate as you drive around.
- Lastly, just to be evil and give everyone nightmares, I’m including this one. Now, I’ve taken my fair share of vacations. And I’ve taken my fair share of grief for taking those trips from my co-bloggers who like to have fun with my vacation schedule right here on this very blog. This one though… note to self, NO vacations to Peru. Why you may ask? Because I don’t want to bring home a souvenir in the form of a flesh eating maggot inside my head! Yeah, you read that right. It was in her head!
Okay folks, that’s five and it’s time for me to hit the road. And if the police want to track my license plate, that’s fine. Heck, I could even consider it a public service. If they know where I usually go, and I end up somewhere I’m not familiar with, they’ll be able to tell me how to get there. Because obviously, I musta got lost. And with that, someone will finally understand who wubu gubu with the green teeth is…
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Beer's Boondoggles, Cars, Christmas, Commercials, Conspiracy, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Silly, stupid, Travel, Vacation
Apologies folks, last week sort of slipped away from us and it was some time Friday afternoon that I realized that we hadn’t done a post for the week. We weren’t all on vacation or anything, in fact I think we were all mostly in the area. Ah well. Anyways, this week we’re back it so let’s see what’s up, shall we?
- I’m a firm believer in the saying “Every time you make something idiot-proof, the world just makes a bigger idiot”. As a result, we seem to have a lot of really dumb people in the world these days. Take this article. I’m sorry, “I forgot it was there” is really no excuse for this. As my cohorts like to pick on me for, I travel a fair bit. A lot of it is on airplanes. If I can remember to not bring the little utility tool knife through security, there’s no reason for more and more people to show up for their flight with a gun! Now, I’m not an anti-gun person by any means, but if you can’t remember it’s in your carry on bag, should you really own a gun in the first place?
- Staying with the “not real bright, are you?” theme… What exactly did this ‘brain surgeon’ think was going to happen when they modified an old machine gun to make it seem like it was firing and drove around town with it mounted on a vehicle? Yep, the police got involved, and they got arrested. As our buddy Red would say….
- And one more for good measure… While summer has been going along swimmingly up here (No seriously, we’re virtually swimming we’ve gotten so much rain here in Michigan this summer! Good thing I have a boat!) it’s been hot, and I mean HOT in other parts of the country. Like Death Valley. Where they made a really fun video showing a ranger frying an egg in a skillet that’s been out in the sun. And that where the idiots came in. People visiting death valley tried to fry eggs. Except, they aren’t using skillets. They’re frying them on the ground, and making a huge mess of things. And now the park literally is asking people to stop frying eggs on the ground.
- Of course, as I’m carrying on about all this I came across this one which points out… I’m going about it all wrong! Well, except that I’m not technically writing a complaint letter. But I love this one, and I wanted to share. And if you look closely on the site, there’s actually TWO great complain letters available. And the only thing I can add is that it just reinforces my belief that if you do need to write a complaint letter, be clear about what was wrong but there’s no reason to be nasty about it. That doesn’t get you anywhere.
- And lastly, I know this will have some people up in arms for various reasons. This blog isn’t the place to worry about that type of stuff though. I’m just putting it here because I think it’s freaking cool that a completely computer controlled unmanned aircraft (With zero human control, not even remotely) is capable of multiple carrier landings. We’re one step closer to Skynet!
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m calling it a day. Why does it seem like I’m cutting it short? Because as I mentioned up in the post, we’ve had a ton of rain around here recently. But today? Blue skies. And in honor of finally seeing a blue sky…
Have a great weekend folks!