Top O’ the morning to ya! Yeah, I’m letting myself off easy this morning. It’s the Friday before St. Patrick’s Day so I figured we’d try to have a little fun. I even did this post in GREEN!! So, let’s see what’s what in the world this week shall we?
- From the “They must REALLY want to go out of business” department….
News broke late on Wednesday that Carnival Cruise Lines had another ship experience problems while docked. The toilets were overflowing. This after one of their ships broke down at sea. Now comes word this morning that ANOTHER ship had to turn around and head back to Tampa, FL due to engine problems. Once again… I don’t think the Skipper is happy with Gilligan.
- With Sunday fast approaching, we’re getting a lot of articles with suggestions on what to drink (Beyond just green beer, and no – I didn’t brew any green beer for this holiday). So as a public service, here’s one of said lists. Please note, none of these whiskeys or beers is green, although some can be made green if you so desire thanks to the magic of food coloring). Just um, remember… what goes in… must come out. One way or another.
- We live in a world that can be amazing at times. The gadgets that we take for granted today were the stuff of science fiction as little as 30 years ago in some cases. But technology is so prevalent in our world today that we’ve found a new way to be amazed. And that’s by realizing how amazingly stupid some people can be. Including people who steal an iPad (That has a name and contact info etched into the back of it) don’t realize they’re streaming their Instagram pictures to the former owner. And likely, the authorities. Our buddy Red probably knows how to best describe this.
- The running joke here in town on Wednesday…. Who had the better day, the Lions or the Cardinals? The Lions, they signed several NFL free agents, including Reggie Bush. The Cardinals? They elected a new pope! (You thought it was going to be an NFL comparison, didn’t you?) In all honesty, I think both groups need to hope for divine help.
- And lastly, with all the Irish themed talk taking place this weekend comes this story. Sometimes, when people get on a good run of luck, it’s attributed to the “Luck of the Irish”. And sometimes, when you’re making off with $32M from an Australian casino, it’s the luck of… Hacking the security cameras to cheat. Can anyone verify where Brad Pitt and George Clooney have been lately? They haven’t been to Australia have they?
Okay folks, that’s five and I’m off to enjoy a weekend of drinking green beer, and eating corned beef! happy St. Patrick’s Day! In the meantime, let’s go with something a little different. From Chicago, home to a green river and a huge parade this time of year, comes Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown.
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Beer, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Lions, NFL, Pope, Silly, St. Patrick's Day, That 70s Show, Whiskey
Howdy folks, and welcome to today’s edition of Five Thoughts. Now, I’ll admit I may be taking some liberties with the “Food” theme today, but trust me… it’s all arguably somewhat food related. Just wait and see. (And if you’re of a certain age group like I am… you might be hearing an old Heinz ad jingle right now. Anyone remember the “anticipation” commercials?)
- While we’re on the subject of ketchup… I’m guessing prices may be going up slightly here in the short-term. And I’m pretty that the snow plows used to remove the remains of thousands of bottles of spilled ketchup from an accident site were never exactly designed or tested for that use. Don’t they know that’s what french fries are for??
- Okay, arguably this is more ‘beverage’ than ‘food’, but you get the tie in, right? And that giant scream you heard off in the distance recently? The one where you thought you were just hearing things? No, it was real. It appears it was the cellar master of the Chivas distillery upon realizing the scope of the “accidental loss” (aka a SPILL) of what the distillery will only say is “Less than the estimated 18,000 liters”. So, you lost less than roughly 4700 gallons of whiskey? Wow, don’t light a match by those sewers anytime soon!
Could be a repeat of this classic scene.
- And of course, one of the big stories right now in the food world is the horse meat scandal that going on. And earlier this week it claimed its largest victim, with the horse meat being linked to the Swedish meatballs at Ikea. Be honest now. You did it too. Just like I did. The minute you read that headline, your mind instantly thought of this. Didn’t it? The Swedish Chef popped into your head.
- This one made me laugh. One of the big, hot “urban renewal” things right now is “urban farming”. Basically, growing produce on lots in the city. Now, in a “This is news to you?” type of twist, some brain surgeon has figured out that letting people grow food on lots that could have qualified as Superfund sites, could result in harmful chemicals getting into the food. Really? Those lots where a new development couldn’t go because of contamination, or where the 90-year-old crack house got torn down might not be the best soil to grow food in? Where are the Guinness guys to yell “Brilliant!” when you need them? Oh, here the are!
- Lastly, because it’s Friday and I’m going to be lazy about it. No, that’s not entirely true. When a fast food chain basically writes the joke for you, you should use it. It’s the respectful thing to do. So the announcement by Subway that they’re now going to offer six inch subs for $3? Hey, why not. They already cut their footlong subs down to 11 inches, remember? Yeah, Yeah. I know. Ba-dum-bump.
Okay folks, that’s five and I’ll stop playing with my food now! I know, I know. Okay, maybe just one more. After all, there’s really only one song to close out with here today. After all, you aren’t supposed to play with your food. You’re supposed to Eat It.
Have a great weekend folks!
Good morning folks, and welcome to yet another edition of Five Thoughts. We’re suffering a bit today from what I’m un-affectionately referring to as “Weekus-interruptus”. As in, the July 4th holiday and the extra day off I took on Thursday has totally messed up my schedule for the week, effectively making a Friday feel like a Monday. Not cool. So, With that in mind, let’s see what Beer’s brain has cobbled together for today’s post. Shall we?
- Staying close to home, I’m not sure about this one. It appears the state of Michigan hopes to cut down on drunk driving by using talking urinal cakes. This makes me think of 2 points. First… How exactly do they plan to use these in the women’s restroom. And second… I’m willing to bet one of these things gives a drunk a heart attack at some point when the urinal starts talking to him. (I guess that *would* succeed in keeping him off the road though….)
- If you haven’t heard… There was a small ‘technical glitch’ on Wednesday night that caused the entire San Diego fireworks display to go off. All at once. The pictures and video of it are crazy. And of course, there are a lot of people who are either angry, upset, or dissappointed in what happened. Me, I’ve got four words to describe it. Greatest. Grand. Finale. EVER.
- This is a story I’ve been keeping an eye on for a while, and I’m frankly surprised it hasn’t gotten more coverage. I supposed it probably will when we get right down to, and then past the very last minute. Why, because at that point, if you have an affected (infected) machine… the FBI is going to pull the plug on your internet access. And that’s the point where I expect this will become a big story in the news.
- See, cool stuff like this never happens to me. When I go up into to the attic of the house and pull up floorboards, all I ever get to find is dust, a lack of proper insulation, bad do it yourself wiring jobs that could cause the house to burn down, and other stuff like that. I don’t ever get to find bottles of whiskey that are nearly 100 years old. I don’t know if I would try to drink them though. The fact that they’re that old, and still full is part of what makes it so cool.
- Hey, Look! The lifeguard who got fired for saving a drowning man? He’s getting offered his old job back! Yes, you read that right. A lifeguard got fired for saving a man’s life because the man was swimming outside of the roped off “swimming area”. Since the lifeguard left his “assinged area” while on duty, he was fired. Now, after making several statements to attempt to justify the firing (Apparently these people don’t know enough to stop digging when they’re in a hole) the company that fired the lifeguard is prepared to offer him his job back. Isn’t it amazing what a crushing amount of negative publicity can do to change a company’s position on something? The best part? There’s a note in the story that mentions the lifeguard has already stated to the press he wouldn’t accept an offer to return.
Okay folks, that’s five on the sixth and I’m ready to get this day done and over with so I can enjoy the weekend. So, let’s head on out to… a song that’s been stuck in my head since I heard it in concert last weekend. This. Exact. Song.
Have a great weekend folks!