“Um.. Beer? You know it’s not even Thanksgiving yet, right? It isn’t the end of the year, it’s not really even all that close to it.”
Hush, and let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.
Anyways, it’s the last Friday before Thanksgiving in the United States. Next week is Black Friday. With that, the holiday season is off and running and there’s no stopping it. By the time you blink it will be Christmas and then the year will be over. So everyone, take a deep breath and say goodbye to 2011. Because after this weekend, you aren’t going to have time. Anyways, on to today’s post! (I had actually intended to go a bit video game centric in today’s post. What with doing the Star Wars: The Old Republic weekend test last weekend and all. Then the reviews from the LA Auto show started to show up online. And my inner gear-head got all cranked up again. So, let’s start with cars.)
- News from
Bizzaro Land, um Los Angeles. The old rules of the known automotive universe no longer apply. Nissan now has a production car (The 2013 GT-R) that will do 0-60mph in 2.7 seconds. I’m gussing it will also get you a speeding ticket in roughly the same amount of time. Not to be outdone (But a completely different type of vehicle), Ford Motor company whipped up some sort of alternate universe Shelby GT500 that has 650 horsepower, will push the 200mph barrier, and… doesn’t get hit with the gas guzzler tax!!??!?!?!! How is that even possible (Don’t get me wrong though, I highly encourage this type of thing!)?
(Both links are worth following, just for the pictures of the cars)
- From the land of “Apparently Hollywood is never going to learn, or admit they have no new ideas”… NBC has not only accepted a script…but has ordered the production of a pilot. Of the Munsters. Listen, I liked the original Munsters a lot. I love the Munstermobile (Both of them actually, don’t forget Grandpa’s ride!).
But Hollywood, let it go, folks. Frankly, I’m shocked that they aren’t doing a reality TV show for the casting of the pilot. Oh crap, I hope I didn’t just give them an idea.
- Doing the segue… Speaking of pilots (Of a different type). A bit of a scary moment turned comical the other day when the truth finally got out. The captain went to the restroom, where he got stuck due to a faulty door latch. The poor co-pilot, who got left alone to wonder why the captain wasn’t coming back got a message from a passenger. Frankly, I can see some people getting upset when they hear the audio, and I can understand it. But I can also see the co-pilot’s point of view. He opens that door, and control of the plane is at risk. The captain though, I feel for him. How would you like to be known from now on as “The pilot who caused an emergency landing by getting stuck in the bathroom”. He’s going to have to own that one, because there’s no avoiding it. But hey, when you gotta go, you gotta go.
- Switching back over to gaming, as I tweeted earlier in the week, I had a blast testing out the Star Wars game last weekend. And I see there are tons of giveaways for beta keys for the next test weekend now. I think it’s going to be a very good game. Will it threaten Warcraft? I don’t know. WoW has it’s own big content patch coming soon (4.3). Looks like there may be some gaming to be done here in the near future. I’ve also stumbled across The Godfather: Five Families and will give that a look, but I’m expecting to see something akin to mafia wars on Facebook. We’ll see if I’m right or wrong.
- Back to television for a moment. I miss “That 70’s Show”. Why do I miss it? I miss it because I miss Red. He got it. He understood that if you’re going to host a pornographic website, as a teacher you probably shouldn’t use your SCHOOL DISTRICT ISSUED LAPTOP to work on it. If you do, that makes you, as Red would say… A Dumbass.
Okay folks. That’s Five and I’m ready to get the weekend (and the end of the year) started. By this time next week we’ll all be in holiday mode. Or a food coma, which is kind of the same thing. Anyways, no music this week. Instead we’re going to let William Shatner make sure you all stay safe if you’re looking to fry a turkey this year. There was no way I wasn’t using this video.
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Autoblog, Cars, Features, Five Thoughts, From the News, Holiday, Porn, postaweek2011, Silly, Star Wars, stupid, Video Games, World of Warcraft
Howdy folks, and happy Spinal Tap Day (And yes, it’s Veteran’s Day, too. A far more important remembrance. Just having a little fun here folks). That’s right, it’s 11-11-2011. Or, 11-11-11. Let’s be honest here for a second. If you get the reference, then you knew there was no way it wasn’t going to get mentioned somehow, somewhere in this post. If you have no clue what I’m going on about, well… go check out “This is Spinal Tap“. It’s a comedy classic. It goes to eleven.
Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way… On with today’s post!
- On the what can break next front.. Beer’s found out that the answer is… the furnace! That’s right! On the day we get the first snowfall of the season (And temps dropping down to freezing), the furnace quit working! Fortunately, we have a very effective fireplace and space heaters (And someone on the way to fix the furnace). So it isn’t all bad.
- On the gaming front, I’ve been getting back into World of Warcraft a bit lately. Just that time of year I guess. More time inside than outside, etc.. That could be threatened here going forward though. I’m restricted from saying too much, but there is a new game coming out this year that I managed to grab a beta invite to. Lets just say it’s set Far Far Away. Will definitely be checking it out this weekend. Hmm… I have a pretty new gaming system, I wonder if I can run them both at the same time?
- The Black Friday ads are starting to get published. Nothing like getting all those 4am shoppers fired up a bit early, huh? As I wondered last year.. seems like every year these ads seem to “leak” out early. Almost like it’s intentional. Just saying… Speaking of Black Friday, the day preceding it in the States is
Football Thursday Thanksgiving. And this year, that Thanksgiving turkey dinner is going to cost you more. Unless you’re like me, and turkey has been banned from your household due to a refrigerator “incident” (aka, Failure!). Funny how these stories always come out this time of year. It’s like it’s on the calendar of all the news organizations, “Okay, time to do the ‘turkey dinner cost is going up/down’ story for the year”.
- I have to tread carefully on this one, I know. But as someone who sees things slightly differently in life I can’t help but laugh at this. There’s just a symmetric irony to it. The Office Professional Employees International Union is picketing. No big deal, that’s what unions occasionally do. That’s normal. They’re picketing Solidarity House. Yes, you read that right. The OPEIU is picketing the home office of the United Auto Workers, aka the UAW. So this is a union on union picket. Think about that one for a moment. The thought of it made me laugh.
- There’s a lot of things that can tip someone off to “This relationship might have some issues”. When I try to think of them though, I usually don’t come up with “Wife causes a bomb scare when she has a GPS tracking device attached to her husband’s car“. I’m thinking that would probably be pretty high on the list though. Maybe just below attempted murder, I’m not sure.
Okay folks, that’s five thoughts for this Friday and it’s time for Beermaker to start the weekend and download a beta client. But, before you go, don’t think for a second you’re getting out of here without at least one more “This goes to eleven” Spinal tap reference. You know you want to listen to it. Enjoy!
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Commentary, Features, Five Thoughts, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, postaweek2011, Spinal Tap, Star Wars, Thanksgiving, Video Games, World of Warcraft
Good morning folks, and welcome to another Friday. We’re all still here (again), but someone writing this post is heading out again soon (AGAIN?!?!?!!). Yes, it’s true. Beermaker’s heading out on yet another boondoggle. So, in the interim let’s see what we have going on this week, shall we?
- I’ve come to be amazed at how I’ll put off trying to post to this blog in the later part of the week. I’ll think of something and make a note about it, saying to myself “Well, It’s already (Insert Wednesday or Thursday here) and I’m doing the post on Friday. As a result I actually have a backlog of things that I should really consider working on and posting. I wonder if that’s normal? If it is, it’s one of the few times that word has ever been used to describe me, that’s for sure!
- Wow, that last one was pretty damned self-indulgent, wasn’t it? See, that’s what happens when you have the keys to the place. And, I’m going to continue the theme here for just a little bit. Now, part of this might actually belong on a friends Tantrum blog. But, he hasn’t had a tantrum in a while so I’m just putting it here. Recently I had to employ the services of a plumbing company on an emergency basis, later in the evening. So, to all the people we called who advertised 24/7 emergency service? Here’s the deal. 24/7 emergency service does not mean “Okay, we’ll page dispatch and see if we might be able to get someone out in a couple of hours”. No, nope, nu-uh. It means “Dear God the basement is backing up get your rear ends over here and fix it and I’ll worry about the price later!!!!” So when you tell me it’ll be 15-20 minutes before you can tell me if you can someone out to me, you know what I do in that time? I keep calling your competition until I find one that says “On our way right now”. And they now have some of my money. The money you obviously didn’t need. Have a nice day.
- Changing gears completely now (Well, I guess it still sort of involves water in a way) I had to talk about this today. Why? Well, it’s a historic find for one. Wreckage of a 13th century ship thought to have belonged to Kublai Khan’s invasion fleet has been found. Now, that’s cool enough. And reading the CNN article today, it says it was found in about 25 meters of water. Makes sense, sounds about right. Yesterday though, there was an article on Yahoo. That article doesn’t put the ship in 25 meters of water. It says the ship was 25 meters off the coast of Nagasaki. I’m gonna trust CNN on this one. Why? Because I find it hard to believe that over the course of 700+ years, nobody noticed a shipwreck only about 27 yards off the coast! (Yeah, that’s right. That would be about 82 feet) Nobody went swimming/diving there for all that time? Seems unlike to me.
- With the passing of Steve Jobs, lots of interesting stuff has come out. Being a car guy, I really gravitated to this little nugget when it came up. Steve Jobs driving without a license plate. One of the theories was that it would help avoid being followed or identified. I can by that to an extent. And it might have worked.
Except for those meddling kids. Except for one little thing. Steve Jobs always drove a silver Mercedes. Now, if you changed out colors and models you’d probably be able to avoid detection. But with his approach? You saw a silver Mercedes without a plate, you could ID it as probably being Steve Jobs. Oops.
- You didn’t think you were going to get out of here without me mentioning the 800 pound gorilla of the gaming world announcing its next expansion pack, did you? Hmmm… maybe I should have called them an 800 pound panda.
Hey, I liked Kung Fun Panda.
Okay folks, that’s five and I am literally out of here. Now, there will be border crossings involved this weekend so I will do my best to avoid any international incidents.
In the meantime, considering we talked about a Mongol fleet (well, the wreckage of it) outside of Japan (launched from China), and the latest Blizzard expansion, there was really only one choice for the video choice. Hope it doesn’t get stuck in your head.
Have a great weekend folks!
Howdy folks! Did you miss me? Probably not considering my co-blogger not only filled in for me last week, but I log on today to find that he actually posted something else? 2 posts from him in less than a week? I almost fell off my chair! Still, let’s see what we’ve got here for our vacation shortened week this week.
- Meant to put up a trip about the recent vacation, but kept getting sidetracked. And once it wasn’t up by Wednesday evening (we got back Tuesday night) well, it wasn’t gonna get finished. Yet another post for the scrap heap. I’m not big on comparing notes with others, is it normal to have more unfinished posts than posts?
- Sticking on the road trip theme… For the Independence Day holiday (aka 4th of July) Beer did the All-American thing, the road trip “up north”. That’s right, we hooked a trailer on the back of the truck, burned up a bunch of gasoline and headed to the lake. Nothing says “Americana” like burning a bunch of gasoline and blowing up fireworks. Except maybe playing with the chainsaw. Or the dock breaking. And beer. Definitely beer. Homemade, even!
- (And this one goes here because after drinking beer.. well…) I don’t know how they’ll pick the lucky “volunteer” for this, but I’m guessing it’s either gonna be lowest rank or shortest straw that “wins” the honor of testing it out….
NASA’s Stillsuit: Atlantis Crew to Test Pee-Recycling Bag
“One of the four astronauts aboard space shuttle Atlantis will test the recycler — with an experimental fluid, not their own urine — toward the end of their 12-day mission”. Blech.
- Arriving in the mail right after our latest vacation? Details on our NEXT vacation. Hey, it’s a tough life, but someone has to live it. Right? As for the details? When we get back. I follow my own advice, and don’t publicize the dates and times of my trips all that much. It’s a good one though folks, trust me. (And yes, this one was purely self serving. You get to do that when you write it.)
- As I alluded to in a tweet earlier this week, I stumbled across my old copy of Knights of the Old Republic again this week. And yes, I installed it and played a little bit. Still a very fun game, even if it looks a touch dated now. And it is not helping at all knowing that Star Wars: The Old Republic, the shiny new Star Wars MMO is looming on the horizon. Might even be enough to pull me out of Warcraft. Yes, I’m still playing. Not as much, but still there (Not playing much of anything right now, it’s summer and things are busy. It’ll pick up soon though). Still, it also has me thinking about retro gaming. Might be a fun little feature.
Ok, that’s five all over the place thoughts. Sorry for being so scatter brained, but after being off on vacation, a quick 3 workdays was all that stood between me and the weekend. And the brain took full advantage of that. So, we’ll work on something a bit more focused for next week, but until then, have a great weekend folks!
And for all you Star Wars fans out there… here’s a trailer for the new MMO:
Have a great weekend folks!
Posted in Feature
Tagged Beer, Features, Five Thoughts, Fourth of July, From Beermaker's Brain, From the News, Homebrew, NASA, postaweek2011, Random, Silly, Star Wars, Vacation, Video Games, World of Warcraft
Wow, you take a few days off and the short week has Friday sneaking right back up on you. Not that it almost being the weekend is a bad thing really, just.. too soon. All that being said… let’s get started, shall we?
- It’s December 10th. 15 days until Christmas (14 actually, since Christmas eve is a defacto holiday, too.). Guess it’s time to get the shopping done. Don’t want people to say I was not prepared.
- On a recent trip to a “big box” retailer to pick something up, I paid cash for an item, and watched the cashier struggle as she counted the change back THREE times. THREE. And still got it wrong. She shorted me a buck. I wrote it off at that point, considering it an investment in an item for today’s column. Seriously folks.. if you’re going to put someone at a CASH register… make sure they can count in case they actually have to… I don’t know… handle cash and make change?
- Just like a bunch of other people, I picked up World of Warcraft: Cataclysm this past week. Let’s just say I’m impressed, I’m enjoying it, and I did not stand in line at midnight or take time off to play. I’m also only about halfway through one of the “starter” zones for the expansion. I never said I was a fast leveler.
- A couple of big dates in history went by this past week. December 7th (no, the date isn’t significant because of the warcraft expansion – go back to school and take a history class) and December 8th. The December 7th attack on Pearl Harbor was once called “A day that will live in infamy”, and yet I saw a lot more about the December 8th anniversary shooting murder of John Lennon. Part of me wonders if it was the 30 year mark of Lennon’s killing that caused it. Next December will be
60 70 years for Pearl Harbor (Thanks for the correction, Tiff!). I expect that will get a lot of attention. On a little different note – if you ever get the opportunity to visit the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor, do it. It’s an eerie, awe inspiring experience.
- In the news as a write this…. The FAA has lost track of quite a few planes.
The good news? They don’t mean “planes in the air”.
The bad news? The FAA “is missing key information on who owns one-third of the 357,000 private and commercial aircraft in the US”. Okay.. hold up a minute here. I can almost understand the private planes on a certain level, but commercial aircraft?? Really? I mean, is it that hard to keep track of the handful of commercial airlines who may own planes, or the companies that lease commercial aircraft to them? Seriously folks… it can’t be that big of a list, could it?
Ok, that’s five and I’m out of here (And after that post you’re probably thankful for that aren’t you?). Now, seeing as how the wow expansion just came out, I slipped a few little jokes in there. Did you find them? I’ll post clips to the phrases down below.
In the meantime… a favorite Beatles tune featuring John Lennon.
Have a great weekend folks!
Here’s the clips… there were two of them
(Did you find them?)
Posted in Feature
Tagged Cataclysm, Christmas, Commentary, FAA, Features, Five Thoughts, John Lennon, Pearl Harbor, Shopping, Silly, Video Games, World of Warcraft