Happy Friday folks! No, don’t worry, this isn’t an attempt to see “what sticks”. Just being a little silly with the title as I couldn’t come up with a good theme to work off of. Today’s thoughts are all over the map (And I’m pretty sure I’ve used that one before) so I figured I throw a title together, but I didn’t like the sound or implications of calling it the “Thrown Together” edition. So there you have it, that’s how I got today’s title. Ah well, on to the silly!
- I knew as soon as I saw the headline link that this one would be going into Today’s post. If this doesn’t qualify as “News of the Weird”, I really don’t think I’d know what would. A man, dressed up in a goat costume, hanging out with actual goats in the Utah mountains. In a follow-up article, it turns out he was testing his goat costume for an archery hunt. You’ll notice it doesn’t say if he will be the hunter or the hunted in that follow-up, however.
- Hot on the heels of a bunch of people getting burns on their feet trying to walk across hot coals (See what I did there?) at a Tony Robbins event, Yahoo posted an article to ask the burning question (see what they did there?) “Why do people walk across hot coals?“. Frankly, I think the answer is pretty simple. They’re idiots! Or as I like to put it… Stupid SHOULD hurt. Or, as Red would prefer to put it….
- From the “Apparently the car wasn’t clean enough” department…. A New Jersey woman was pulled from the Hackensack River after driving her car into it while leaving the car wash. I love some of the lines in that article though. “After mistakenly hitting the accelerator while exiting the car wash” and “hit the accelerator instead of the brake and launched right into the river, police said”. Now, I don’t know about in New Jersey… but I do know that in automobiles everywhere else, if you hit the brake you aren’t going to exit *anything*… because you won’t be moving!
- I love this one… Some computer hacker has a sick and twisted sense of humor. I do feel for the poor guy that was probably at work half asleep in the middle of the night at Iran’s Nuclear reactor, only to have the bejeebers scared out of him when computers infected with malware started playing AC/DC’s “Thunderstruck” at full volume! I wonder, do you think they could get all the computers to start repeating “I’m sorry Dave, I’m afraid I can’t do that” like HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey? Now THAT would be creepy!
- Last, but certainly not least… I can’t decide if this is pure awesome, pure crazy, or some mix of both. Probably simultaneously both. This past week, Felix Baumgartner completed a skydiving jump from an altitude of 90,000 feet. Or for you and me… 18 miles. They say he hit a top speed of 536 miles per hour. Oh, and he got to that speed within 25 seconds. Again… awesome, meet crazy! But the craziest thing? That wasn’t a new height record. That will come next month if he completes his scheduled jump from 23 miles up! (125,000 feet!)
Okay, that’s five… and I can’t top someone skydiving from 18 miles up in the air. So, I’m just going to close out with a couple of videos. First, in honor Mr. Baumgartner and his jump…
But wait… there’s more! Because I knew when I used it there was no way I could write about it and not use it. So if it wasn’t stuck in your head after that item about Iran’s nuclear reactor, it will be now! How could I not use “Thunderstruck“?
Have a great weekend folks!